Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

Already have a bottle open in the back nad its almost gone. Love em for the price. $55 where I am from. It is not the best scotch I ever had, but it it is a fantastic deal. What other 18 can you get for $55?

Here are some tasting notes:

Nose: White grape juice, apple fritters, cinnamon frosting, roasted rosemary, pancake syrup, white bread, canvas, smokey charred marshmallow, a1 steak sauce, honey comb, tropical fruits

Taste: Sweet pineapple and orange at the front, immediately followed by creamy baking spices, cinnamon, pepper and splintering oak mid palate, then ends with savory heather, liquorice, char and chocolate; chewey and viscous, little bitterness despite a lot of tannin

Finish: medium length of char, cacao, sage, oranges, smarties; starts slightly medicinal but ends sweet and clean

Overall: Excellent Malt. I was a bit disappointed at first, but this is a treasure trove if you sit and sniff for awhile. There is a very faint smokey, savory and herbaceous component underneath that I can't put my finger on. At first I was worried that it was a poor sherry cask, but the more I contemplate, the more I realize that there is some peat hanging around! (At least I hope my experience picked it out correctly) This is made from refill oak, so this may have been married with old peated malt casks or Tomatin slightly peats their malt, neither of which they don't say. Indeed, a mystery. At least the notes match the distillers on the box: "hint of smokey heather." So, I must be doing something right and boy do I enjoy it! The nose never backs down - I quit recording by the third glass. Yes, the third glass because its greatest strength is that it is delicious.

The taste is the best part. Fruity, woody, spicy, creamy, savory and herbaceous, it is incredibly well rounded with fruits taking a bold lead but not overpowering. In addition, it is incredibly drinkable. No harsh tannin or bitterness. Your taste buds just water. The finish is aggressively bitter and medicinal at first before settling down to a clean fruity, candy like sweetness. Very well put together!

Connoisseur

That must be the most that anyone has ever written about Tomatin!

Seriously though, I don't know why I developed a predisposition against it, as I've never even tried it. I literally drove past the distillery a couple weeks ago without even considering a stop in the gift shop. I think I need to pick up some of the 18 and give it a fair shake.

Enthusiast

I, like you, had an aversion to it as well, considering that others have the same aversion. I have been doing my research on it because $55 for an 18 year old sounded too goo to be true. I was sick and tired of paying double that for the legacy malts.

Tomatin originally made malt for blends only. It's signature was that it provided a very fruity component - my favorite part of their profile. Most of this stuff went to Japan for Japanese Blends.

Only recently did Tomatin start releasing its product as single malts. It has been having a hard time trying to make a name for itself. The standard malts - the 12, 15 and 18 - had been getting poor reviews but the Master Distiller have been doing his best to open Tomatin up to discerning whiskey buyers. Their Decades release, combined with offering their standard malts as NCF, have help put them on the map.

They still don't have anything that is a knock out of the park - or least that I have had - but the 18 is fantastic in my book. I heard the 15 is great, too. (its ex-bourbon only) The one I really want to get my hands on is the Tomatin 30. It is ex-bourbon, but I have seen prices for it as low as $200. A 30 year old malt for $200! In a way, I sort of see Tomatin as HH was before the bourbon boom. You know, when you could get the EC18 for $40. It had some good whiskies at a great value. Sure, nothing is really better than what the best distillers can offer, but for the price, it can't be beat!

Virtuoso

Thanks Zillah, great notes. Makes me want to go find one myself ...!
    Mark

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Jazz Festival bottling? That's one I really wish I had picked up while I was on that side of the pond.
    Not that one. I am making up for a mistake I made back in 2007.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Not that one. I am making up for a mistake I made back in 2007.
    She was the one that got away?

=]b
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

I'm on my way out today to pick up a Balvenie TUN 1401 Batch 3 and Batch 6. I've been told that the Batch 9 is going to be coming out very soon.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Walked into my local Liquor Barn and saw this. Another SB'er had made me aware of the Tun series, so, although I couldn't find any quick info on Batch 9 on the www, I took a chance and grabbed it.
    I'm a long time Balvenie fan--mainly DoubleWood and PortWood. Guess I should think about the DoubleWood 17 yr old, too.
    Now that I'm home, I check Balvenie's website and see this is a brand new release (October) for the US only. My lucky day!!

from the news post:

“We’ve identified what we believe to be an unprecedented range of liquids to comprise this Tun 1401 batch from the vast library of very rare whisky currently maturing at The Balvenie Distillery,” said David Stewart, our Malt Master of over 50 years. “The end result is a complex and completely unique marriage characterized by dark fruits and marmalade on the nose. Its richness and smoothness is underpinned with dark chocolate sweetness, delicate honey notes and a distinctly long, spicy finish.”

here's a link to the whole thing: http://us.thebalvenie.com/news/annou...n-1401-batch-9

edit/addition
    somehow these tasting notes (from Wine Enthusiast) on the Balvenie 30 yr old ($800) don't make me want to go out and grab a bottle

"Bouquet offers hints of mead, almonds, pencil eraser, coffee grounds, pork and old leather. Palate entry is intensely resiny, smoldering warm and waxy;...
    Last edited by bigtoys; 09-30-2013 at 12:28.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring/Summer/Fall 2013

These aren't the Drams you're looking for...

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring/Summer/Fall 2013

To be honest, I haven't had the 9 yet so I I don't know if it is any good - I'm hoping it is at least on par with 6 but may be far fetched to think it will be like 3... Only 3 Sherry casks in the 9 it would appear.