Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring/Summer/Fall 2013

Bought a bottle of Glenmorangie "The Lasanta" today. I've never had any of the Glenmorangie line before. Was tempted to get the regular 10yr but ultimately decided on the Lasanta as it is sherry cask finished. I'm normally a Islay guy so I want to see the difference.

Guru

Glendronach (IB) 22yr / 1990 - Cask 6921
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 10-27-2013 at 19:45.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Back from a trip to Peru for an Amazon River Boat voyage. Not much in the way of whiskey or even liquor to be hand on the river unless you like rot gut aguardiente!

Did stop by duty free when I discovered there was no money exchange past security at the Lima airport and I still had a pocket full of the local currency. I guess they want you to spend it on duty free. I of course obliged. Whiskey options were limited basically to JD and whisky options weren't much better if you didn't want one of the many colors of JW so I ended up with a 70cl of Balvenie Rum Cask and a liter of Dalwhinnie 15 since I had neither at the house yet. The Balvenie label appeared different than the bottles here in the states with the emphasis on "golden cask" rum barrel.

Wasn't really sure what either cost at home but I expect it wasn't much cheaper buying it at duty free. Although probably a better return than trying to convert back to dollars and getting the poor conversion rate and paying all the excessive fees! And it did add up to the right amount to use up most of the money left over.

Peru duty free.JPG
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 10-28-2013 at 16:18.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by onewman View Post
    Out prowling today and came up with some oldies but goodies. Presenting in alphabetical order:

Aberlour a'bunadh Batch No 14
    Glenmorangie 10 year old (old version)
    Laphroaig 15 year old (pre royal warrant)
    Macallan Cask Strength (old version)
    Scapa 14 year old
    Talisker 18 year old (old bottle priced at $60)
    Well done, and as a librarian I always appreciate things presented from A-Z.

I just picked up my K&L order in SF, with a bottle of the 1997 Laphroaig and the 32yr blend from 1979 (my birth year). Seeing as I was just picking up bottles I had already paid for I didn't even take my wallet out so I felt like I hadn't even spent any money; I was very tempted to pick up some other stuff off the shelf as well, even at the smaller SF store the selection is decent, but I stayed strong and kept it in my pants. This time.

Enthusiast

Went ahead with a 1.75L of JW Gold today for low low price of $99 at my local Costco. Seeing as I've never seen this for less at $80per 750ml and I've been interested in grabbing a bottle before they're replaced by the Platinum I sprang for it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Went ahead with a 1.75L of JW Gold today for low low price of $99 at my local Costco. Seeing as I've never seen this for less at $80per 750ml and I've been interested in grabbing a bottle before they're replaced by the Platinum I sprang for it.
    I would have jumped on that too. As far as K&L is concerned in your last post, the Arran 14 at CS is phenomenal. I've had the Faultline 32 year as well and I think that it's a great value at $100. It has a loooooong finish that you want from something that age. Maybe a bit rough around the edges at the start, but as it advances on your palate, it's really good stuff. I was born in 1978, so they missed me by a year. A buddy of mine bought a bottle because it was his birth year too.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

Yeah I'm a sucker for things from 79, just gives me that one more reason to grab a bottle.
    Definitely drink it...tonight -Sutton

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Yeah I'm a sucker for things from 79, just gives me that one more reason to grab a bottle.
    I have the same problem with 82. Still looking for a Macallan 18.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Bought a bottle of Glenmorangie "The Lasanta" today. I've never had any of the Glenmorangie line before. Was tempted to get the regular 10yr but ultimately decided on the Lasanta as it is sherry cask finished. I'm normally a Islay guy so I want to see the difference.
    What did you think of this one. I really prefer the Quinta Ruban from this line, but I often like sherried bits and tend to really like Glenmo drams.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    What did you think of this one. I really prefer the Quinta Ruban from this line, but I often like sherried bits and tend to really like Glenmo drams.
    Well, I should have purchased the regular Glenmorangie first to have a baseline to compare the other finished releases to.

I like the Lasanta just fine. But it doesn't "wow" me in any way. I think in time I will pick up a bottle of the regular 10yr and then eventually the Quinta Ruban as the port cask influence sounds potentially very tasty.