Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring 2013 ...

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Did a little driving around yesterday and found some good prices. Grabbed my first Glendronach 15 Revival (cracked it open last night and wow!). Also got my first Clynelish 14, a(nother) round bottle HP15 and Macallan CS

And since we might be talking about what we passed up too... I saw a G&M Private Selection Claret wood finished 15yr Caol Ila I almost pulled the trigger on, as well as a Talisker 175th; along with a handful of other really special bottles I just ogled for about about 20minutes before I had to leave.
    Good pickups just in time for the long weekend!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring/Summer/Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on an order for Springbank Calvados finish, Sheep Dip Amoroso Oloroso, and a 375 of 17yr barrel proof Clynelish.
    I spoke too soon. Should have known better. Place called today to tell me they had neither the Springbank nor the Clynelish. They did ship me their last two bottles of Sheep Dip AO though, and waived the shipping charges.

Guru

Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Spring/Summer/Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    I spoke too soon. Should have known better. Place called today to tell me they had neither the Springbank nor the Clynelish. They did ship me their last two bottles of Sheep Dip AO though, and waived the shipping charges.
    Bummer... Was looking forward to reading about the Springbank Calvados.

Yet another reason to continue the hunt.

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Did a little driving around yesterday and found some good prices. Grabbed my first Glendronach 15 Revival (cracked it open last night and wow!). Also got my first Clynelish 14, a(nother) round bottle HP15 and Macallan CS

And since we might be talking about what we passed up too... I saw a G&M Private Selection Claret wood finished 15yr Caol Ila I almost pulled the trigger on, as well as a Talisker 175th; along with a handful of other really special bottles I just ogled for about about 20minutes before I had to leave.
    I really liked the Tally 175th. If it had a decent price I might grab another.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Picked up a Sullivan's Cove double cask and a Greenore 18yo today (completes the "set" for Greenore of the 8, 15 and 18). May add the Sullivan's Cove to the Thanksgiving menu!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I really liked the Tally 175th. If it had a decent price I might grab another.
    I found one of these a few months ago for $115, which from what I understand is a bit above initial MSRP, but not bad for something that was released 8 years ago. I believe this weekend shall see me crack it!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I found one of these a few months ago for $115, which from what I understand is a bit above initial MSRP, but not bad for something that was released 8 years ago. I believe this weekend shall see me crack it!
    My last one a few months ago was $100 but might cave at $115!

Enthusiast

Picked up a Sullivan's Cove double cask and a Greenore 18yo today (completes the "set" for Greenore of the 8, 15 and 18). May add the Sullivan's Cove to the Thanksgiving menu!
    Nice score! How do you find the sullivans? Have you tried the american oak bourbon cask? Probably my favourite expression for obvious reasons.
    On the aussie whisky front i picked up a bottle of belgrove rye, its good but wayyy overpriced, but thats aussie hooch for you.
    Also picked up a teeling small batch irish which im keen to get stuck into.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    Nice score! How do you find the sullivans? Have you tried the american oak bourbon cask? Probably my favourite expression for obvious reasons.
    On the aussie whisky front i picked up a bottle of belgrove rye, its good but wayyy overpriced, but thats aussie hooch for you.
    Also picked up a teeling small batch irish which im keen to get stuck into.

Have tried the American Oak, French Oak and Double Cask. I liked the Double although I wish it had more proof, then the American followed by the French although I liked all three. The Double was also cheaper by about $30 so it was a good place to start. It is a very nice balance of the other two but a little thin at 80pf. Still a nice casual easy pour if very pricey.

Would love to see Teeling make it to the US but no sign of it so far.

Guru

I don't think we have a what did you pass up thread in this forum but I saw an interesting Springbank today. A 9yo cask strength (58%) bottle finished for 2 years in "Marsala".

Attachment 16960Attachment 16961

At first I thought it said massala. I think of massala as an Indian spice of some sort and I couldn't figure out how that would work!

Then I realized it was actually Marsala wine casks from Italy. Now that is not one I see every day!

Anybody ever tried this? I was a little reluctant to take the plunge, especially at $99.99 (the price on the Binny website was $79.99) and couldn't find that much info about it.

Bumping it up. Nobody that has tried this?