Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

How many bottles do you have open at any one time?

This is a _very_ open ended question with many angles. As I browsed my available options for drinking tonight, it made me wonder what other's logic, reasons and decisions are to decide which, and how many, different bottles to have open and ready to consume.

I've tried to maintain a few basic rules:

1. Variety without duplication - I like having options, but I avoid opening more than one bottle of a particular style or a profile I find very similar.

2. No more than two barrel proof bottles - It may take a while to empty these (1+ year) and I don't want bourbon to get too much air before I finish them. I recognize this may not be entirely valid for some or all bourbons, but it makes sense in my head.

3. Don't pay twice - If a bottle is not being consumed for whatever reason, find a creative way to make the bottle disappear through consumption or gifting to make room for something else I may enjoy better.

With these rules, I currently have 14 open bottles. I suspect it would take me about 10-12 months to consume the currently open bottles and I share about 20-25% with friends, so this stock will cycle through in approximately 8 months.

Advanced Taster

Re: How many bottles do you have open at any one time?

About 65 open, no real rules just try not to open dupes.

Connoisseur

Four. It used to be three and I'm sure it'll grow to five, but for now - four. Two ryes, two bourbons.

Enthusiast

60-80 open, always working on some dregs :-)

Steffen

Enthusiast

Too many open, though a lot are not style duplications. In saying so, I commenced a bottle kill off last week and have knocked off four or so.

Connoisseur

DSCF3570.jpg

How many are here?
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

great selection there Alden. Shows good taste!

I have a lot open, but others on this board have quadruple that number (4x "a lot" is a whole lot, but we've got professionals here). The larder is mostly whiskey but includes other stuff, like: tequila, rum, scotch, brandies, and NOT A SINGLE VODKA!

I do keep duplicates from different years for comparison

This topic crops up periodically and discussion usually goes to pros and cons. Cons revolve around whether or not it will change or go bad. Pros revolve around benefits of being able to sip different bottles to cross compare.

Connoisseur

Mostly what I hear and read is that it changes subtly from exposure to air, but not that it ever goes "bad" -- unless it sits for many years.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Enthusiast

Generally, I try to keep it under 10. I don't sample enough to kill 10 bottles a year. Sometimes it may balloon a bit (up to 15) as I approach the end of a bottle and sample more or have a party. But I'm a novice compared to most guys on this board.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Taster

All of them. I know I'm in the minority, but man, I want to try them. I suppose this is only possible because I don't have a bunker, so it's only about 10-12.