Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is there something wrong with me?

I am sitting here drinking a Cabin Still on the rocks. I am enjoying it just fine. Is there something wrong with me? I have enjoyed some of the finest high end bourbon in the world, yet I always still enjoy the bottom shelfers. I have grown to believe my palate feels that there is no such thing as a bad bourbon. Some are just better than others. I may also be a little drunk. Feel free to discuss.

Connoisseur

Re: Is there something wrong with me?

Nope you have company, maybe a MN thing?

Sitting here with some VOB BIB for the night, was eyeing some WSR 7yr, earlier, but decided not to open one.

Need to pick up another VROHH 8yr, last one ran dry not long ago.

Nothing wrong with them at all.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Guru

Nothing at all wrong with enjoying good whisky and since it's a daily commodity around our house I see no reason to pay more than necessary.

Enthusiast

I always like to try new things, but truth be told, if I was "stuck" with only HHW BIB the rest of my life, I'd be pretty happy.

Guru

When it comes to Bourbon I drink two brands, Barton and Grand Dad, almost exclusively. I could easily drink other brands, have tried most of them all over the years, but choose to stay with these two favorites.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    I am sitting here drinking a Cabin Still on the rocks. I am enjoying it just fine. Is there something wrong with me? I have enjoyed some of the finest high end bourbon in the world, yet I always still enjoy the bottom shelfers. I have grown to believe my palate feels that there is no such thing as a bad bourbon. Some are just better than others. I may also be a little drunk. Feel free to discuss.
    I don't disagree with you Grain Belt. I'm not a Cabin Still fan, nor any of the offerings from Dickel, but almost any of the lower shelf Bourbons I've tried do hit me right, at least on some occasions. If it tastes OK to you, then DRINK IT whenever you wish to do so. ... Hey; the enjoyment of the lower shelfers is a blessing, eh?

Guru

Ain't nothing wrong with liking what you like!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Nope, you're the normal one. The people that aren't normal are the people that associate high price with high quality. We all know that this is false.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    I am sitting here drinking a Cabin Still on the rocks....I have grown to believe my palate feels that there is no such thing as a bad bourbon. Some are just better than others. I may also be a little drunk. Feel free to discuss.
    Quite often I enjoy a theme to my bourbon drinking--different vintages of EWSB, different iterations from the same distiller, wheaters from HH vs. BT. Last night it was the battle of the 101s--WT vs. Old Ezra. It has been a while since I have had the WT and expected to be disappointed because of changes at the distillery. (Ain't nothin' what it used to be, you know.) But I found both of them to be quite pleasant. EO sweeter and mellower; WT spicier and more in your face. There are times when a specific bourbon disappoints. I find that it, more often than not, has improved when I come back to it later. Which leads me to believe that it's more likely that my palate is at fault than that the bourbon is deficient. There may be some truly awful stuff out there but I am inclined to believe that, with bourbon, there are just varying degrees of good.
    There is also the 2 o'clock rule: When the bar is fixin' to close, all the women are beautiful. Or, drink enough of it and everything starts to taste good.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

Quite so, the whisky coming out of the still is exactly the same quality whether it is aged for 2 years or 12. The two will have different characteristics of course, and the older one will cost more to produce, but the quality is the same.