Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: An Instructive Story

Quote Originally Posted by CoMobourbon View Post
    There is a relatively famous psych experiment that pretty much systematically proves what you are saying.
    [Frédéric Brochet at the University of Bordeaux] took a middling Bordeaux and served it in two different bottles. One bottle bore the label of a fancy grand cru, the other of an ordinary vin de table. Although they were being served the exact same wine, the experts gave the bottles nearly opposite descriptions. The grand cru was summarized as being “agreeable,” “woody,” “complex,” “balanced,” and “rounded,” while the most popular adjectives for the vin de table included “weak,” “short,” “light,” “flat,” and “faulty.” - link to the summary of many blind taste results

Bourbon is not so different than art, right? When you buy a painting you buy a story, not just paint on the canvas. All art, including whiskey, lives and dies on the legends that make them interesting. It's like that 6-year old painter whose work sold for thousands, but when it came out that her father was guiding her, not another painting was sold. Same art - different story.

Anyway, my point is that maybe the instructive thing about the story is not, "don't let your judgment be colored by the bourbon's history", but instead, "remember to accept and embrace the fact that story and state of mind helps you enjoy your bourbon more."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well, very true, Danger, and ditto for a stylish packaging format. Still, there is an inherent quality, or lack thereof. There is. Only blind tasting can really separate the wheat from the chaff perhaps.

Gary

Guru

Or the wheat from the rye.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Well, very true, Danger, and ditto for a stylish packaging format. Still, there is an inherent quality, or lack thereof. There is. Only blind tasting can really separate the wheat from the chaff perhaps.
    You can't put lipstick on a pig, but being in the right state of mind can really enhance your enjoyment. I mean, why even bother with the blind tests if they make the whiskey seem to taste worse? When it comes to art/whiskey is there really an objective good and bad product anyway? hmmmm I like your story.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Or the wheat from the rye.
    ha

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

There is an inherent quality for sure. Weller 12 which I had tonight was light and spiky, not as good (IMO) as say, EB 12 or EC 12, I am sure the latter would smoke it in a blind tasting. Some whiskeys in fancy bottles strike many as par for the course, e.g. Willett's pot still (the one in the blown glass-looking bottle). However with whiskeys which overall present close similarities, it is different. In the case of my story too, I was overtaken by the power of suggestion but I can't always be fooled. A number of old bottles at recent Gazebo were clearly oxidized and it was painful hearing some people praise them. Perhaps they were liable to the same thing I was with "Maker's 86", but in other words, you can't fool all the people all the time.

Gary

Guru

Blind tasting is the best way for me to pick out what I like or dislike about about a whisky.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Blind tasting is the best way for me to pick out what I like or dislike about about a whisky.
    Probably true, but maybe not the best way to enjoy a whiskey.

Guru

Oh, I enjoy them all Danger, just some more than others.

Taster

haha, I love your pithy quips.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    Probably true, but maybe not the best way to enjoy a whiskey.
    I just taste it till I go blind.
    I'm not an expert but I have lots of opinions!