Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: An Instructive Story

Quote Originally Posted by KyFriedChicken View Post
    I just taste it till I go blind.
    I am pretty sure a significant majority of the Beam haters would like Booker's, Baker's, Knob Creek Single Barrel, and possibly JBB if given a blind tasting. VERY instructive story.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    I am pretty sure a significant majority of the Beam haters would like Booker's, Baker's, Knob Creek Single Barrel, and possibly JBB if given a blind tasting. VERY instructive story.
    A bit ironic considering the OP. Those are ones I'm quite confident he'd pick out quadruple blind and still revile. Not one of the above made it to the gazebo table either. I myself do enjoy an occasional KC or Bakers and especially when combined with bitters and Vermouth.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

One of the positive aspects of blind tasting is we may in fact broaden our tastes in Bourbon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    One of the positive aspects of blind tasting is we may in fact broaden our tastes in Bourbon.
    And I think more accurately measure the value. When I tried CEHT BP I thought it pretty good. When I blind tasted it against GTS (same price) and Bookers, I was surprised that I liked Bookers more. At 60% of the cost, I won't buy CEHT BP again, despite liking it at first. If I can be more satisfied for less dough, I want to know :-)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Gary, blind tasting was the principle reason I stopped buying expensive whiskys.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Gary, blind tasting was the principle reason I stopped buying expensive whiskys.
    Squire makes me feel stupid for repeatedly violating my Nothing Over $30 vow. A blind tasting often reveals that I sometimes prefer the expensive bourbon about 10% more than my regular pours. But I don't remember the last time I said "Holy cow! This is worth three or four times as much as EC12, OWA, VOB or AAA." Even so, I keep chasing the elusive Holy Grail--which, I understand, BT will be releasing in 2015.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

Here's a great illustrative clip from Penn & Teller's Bullshit wherein customers at a fine restaurant are served cheap food and wine then asked for their opinions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9J1b3MqiX8

Good stuff.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I cannot watch this until tonight but look forward to it. But may I ask, did anyone stick to their guns in not being overly impressed? Or did they all praise? Another factor too: sometimes out of politeness people don't want to criticize including "in public". I have often been in a spot when someone brings a dusty to Gazebo and faults are evident but one doesn't want to hurt feelings.

Gary

Guru

I believe they convinced themselves the food was actually good.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Okay I watched it. Not my thing, the narration was rather crude and there were surely other factors at play such as people with their date not wanting probably to obtrude an off note. Also, even one drink can put someone's palate off, and had it been me at the table, likely I'd have had two before dinner out.

I never really liked scenarios where people are misled, it's kind of a self-justifying prophecy.

Does it prove something? Certainly, but only up to a point.

Gary

P.S. In my own case, I was entirely responsible for misleading myself!