Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 5/13: Wathen's

Wathen's is one of my favorite bourbons. Has a nice following here in central Ky. Probably Heaven Hill but that isn't necessarily bad. I find some similarity between it and Henry McKenna (which I also like). A nice pour when looking for something other than one of the big boys (even if one of the big boys made it!).

Enthusiast

I've had a bottle open for a couple of months. In honor of the BOTM, poured a couple of ounces over ice tonight. It's a fine bourbon, but not one that I will make a staple. I would choose the McKenna BIB over it at the same price, with the higher proof, greater age (presumed with the Wathen's NAS), and more robust flavor of the McKenna BIB.

Connoisseur

I haven't had any Wathen's lately. The other bourbon that I've tried that sort of reminded me of Wathen's was the 2009 OF Birthday bourbon. The birthday bourbon was a little drier, but had a lot of the same tastes. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Wathen's never really reminded me of EC or the other HH brands I've tried. There was another Frank-Lin brand called Josh Brooks that tasted similar to Wathen's. Josh Brooks was 8 year old and 90 proof. They changed the label, and also reduced it to 80 proof, so I've stayed away.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I haven't had any Wathen's lately. The other bourbon that I've tried that sort of reminded me of Wathen's was the 2009 OF Birthday bourbon. The birthday bourbon was a little drier, but had a lot of the same tastes. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Wathen's never really reminded me of EC or the other HH brands I've tried. There was another Frank-Lin brand called Josh Brooks that tasted similar to Wathen's. Josh Brooks was 8 year old and 90 proof. They changed the label, and also reduced it to 80 proof, so I've stayed away.
    It's very possible that B-F distillate went in there. They have also sold bulk whiskey many times over the years.

It's also possible that B-F made some bourbon for Heaven Hill in the post fire era and HH sold it to Frank-Lin. A tangled web.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

I thought the Wathen's was pretty decent bourbon. I just find that in it's price range ($30+ around here) there are many good bourbons or ryes nowadays.

Enthusiast

I happen to have one of these open. It's not good. Some people here are saying its not bad. Its hard to find a bad bourbon, but this one is not good. Just tastes like generic bourbon. Nothing on the nose, palate or finnish to say wow, that's good stuff. Because it isn't. save your money and get some OGD BIB, now that's a good bourbon.

My bottle says, "eight generations, 250 years." That's not an age statement. IMHO, not aged enough. There's plenty of good bourbons out there, move on.

Connoisseur

I haven't tasted any for several years. Back then, I liked it.

Virtuoso

I ordered a bottle of Wathen's a couple weeks ago. It cost about $29 here. I haven't cracked it yet, so I can't comment on the taste, but the accompanying propaganda strongly implies it is "Medley". The ring around the top has the barrel number written in (#215) as well as the date it was "Hand Bottled" (7/20/10 -[no info on when it was dumped, except the 250 years... maybe 1760?]) this data is "Signed" Charles W. Medley (later we find born 1941, so 1760 can't be right). A tag around the neck claims "Bottled by the Charles Medley Distillery", then inside gives a run down of names in the "Medley & Wathen Kentucky Distilling Ancestry", then a couple more pages of 'finest this, select that, ..zealously guarded secret yeast, eight generations ... double distilling ... aged unhurried to it's peak of flavor..

Sounds pretty good ...
    Last edited by edo; 05-08-2013 at 15:57.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Guru

The most impressive thing about that is the skill of the copywriter.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I've still got a couple of the "original" bottlings of this. One was bottled in '98 and the other in '01. I will bring one to Wade's gathering tonight and hopefully people will post notes. I said here some time ago that I get a buttery bisquit flavor from the old bottles. It's a flavor not found in any other bourbon I have tasted.
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.