Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Taster

Re: BOTM 5/13: Wathen's

I had a few drinks out of a bottle that was from barrel #745, bottled Jan 18, 2013. It was okay. Not that great, but not awful either. I wonder how much variation there is (flavor and quality) from one barrel to the next?

Taster

Friend offered to bring a bottle of this stuff back for me (don't normally see it in NC) but I passed because of this thread.

Advanced Taster

I generally like to participate in the BOTMs, but the only Wathen's I have seen for sale near me would cost about $35 (with tax). No comments in this thread have convinced me to make that investment, and there are others in that price range I've been hankering to try--maybe one of those will be BOTM next month.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    I ordered a bottle of Wathen's a couple weeks ago. It cost about $29 here. I haven't cracked it yet, so I can't comment on the taste, but the accompanying propaganda strongly implies it is "Medley". The ring around the top has the barrel number written in (#215) as well as the date it was "Hand Bottled" (7/20/10 -[no info on when it was dumped, except the 250 years... maybe 1760?]) this data is "Signed" Charles W. Medley (later we find born 1941, so 1760 can't be right). A tag around the neck claims "Bottled by the Charles Medley Distillery", then inside gives a run down of names in the "Medley & Wathen Kentucky Distilling Ancestry", then a couple more pages of 'finest this, select that, ..zealously guarded secret yeast, eight generations ... double distilling ... aged unhurried to it's peak of flavor..

Sounds pretty good ...
    So ..... I cracked it. (The top pulled off, away from the 'cork' still in the bottle. Have to glue that back later) ...The nose has a maple, vanilla, cinnamon, hint of mint thang going on. It kind of reminds me of a dusty Old Grand-dad I have (including the 'buttery' thing doubleblank mentioned.) Tastes like the nose promised, but now I'm getting a little cocoa added, and maple sugar (wife says honey)... and ...spicier? Or maybe hotter .. young-hot. My rough guess is that it's five years old. No problem with that, so my first impression is very positive. ...But it's light, not too complex. Maybe too light, even without a drop of water. Quick finish. ... so while it's very (too?) easy to drink, it's not very satisfying (beer drinkers, think Corona to Guiness.) And overall, too sweet (for both of us.) Probably should be put on the date-rape drug watch list.

Enjoyable. 7 out of 10 whatevers.
    Last edited by edo; 05-15-2013 at 05:28.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by edo View Post
    ... so while it's very (too?) easy to drink, it's not very satisfying (beer drinkers, think Corona to Guiness.)
    So is it more like Corona or Guinness? Because I can pound several Coronas, especially with lime, but drinking 12oz of Guinness is a real chore for me. And when I've drunk the Guinness, I'm not at all satisfied.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Virtuoso

It's more like Corona... which I like. But I also like Guiness, but I don't find finishing a Guiness a chore at all... but one hits the spot- thus, for me, a high mark in "satisfaction" (not much into pounding these days)

"This whiskey was personally selected by me. It is characterized by its lightness and dryness and has no peer among bourbon whiskies." -Charles W. Medley

Wathen's claims on the label to be "light". It is. It also claims to be "dry", but I don't think so -it's too sweet to be dry for my taste. ... ' course, 's'all subjective.
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Just a few comments: good, not great, worth a try. Not as good as it used to be. I still have a bottle from barrel 2 that will either be my last drink or a celebration of some sort, I have not decided which.

Sometimes the satisfaction of the sip is relative to the total experience, not just what meets the lips. A local restaurant that I frequent has a modest bar with a tender who knows how to pour. The establishment is Colby’s. Located in downtown Owensboro. The selection of drink is not grand but adequate. I am not 100% sure why but there is always a bottle of Wathen’s displayed in a prominent location. I suspect that Mr. Medley dined there frequently and because it was a “local” product, deserved respect. The bartender knows that I prefer Wathen’s over anything else in stock so a rocks glass usually makes it to my table before I do, just as it did last night. It was followed by a few more that were enjoyed through the finish of a wonderful plate of tilapia. Not wanting to end the night, my wife and I summoned a pedi-cab and toured downtown with a several stops to enjoy live music delivered curb side, ending with a full band performing live on the riverfront.

Wathen’s is not what I would classify as an exception bourbon but certainly good enough to enhance everyday life. Give it a sip.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

Guru

"Certainly good enough to enhance everyday life" is precisely how I see Bourbon in the World of spirits.

Enthusiast

Haha, for some reason, that reminds me of Frank Sinatra's quote about feeling sorry for people who don't drink.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Advanced Taster

What's the new BOTM? Ancient Ancient Age maybe? I will hopefully be getting my first bottle in a few weeks. How does the BOTM get decided? When is it usually posted?