Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Things Tour Guides Say - Barton

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Aarrghh . . . . . . . .
    Oh man --- I hope the rumors are untrue, friend.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Wade was kidding because what he was told is wrong. The rules haven't changed, they're just widely misunderstood. Bourbon has to be at least 51% corn but there is not now nor has there ever been a maximum. Bourbon can be 100% corn. The small grains are optional. Corn whiskey has to be at least 80% corn but can also be 100% corn. Again, the small grains are optional. The difference between corn whiskey and bourbon is that bourbon must be aged in new charred barrels, whereas corn whiskey does not have to be aged. If corn whiskey is aged, it cannot be aged in new charred barrels, because that's makes it bourbon.

Somebody owes you a dollar.
    Thanks! Unfortunately .. I had just read it had to be between 51 & 79% and I was on the wrong side. An inexpensive education & lesson in humility. Well ... maybe not humility!
    Jon

Guru

Wade was kidding because what he was told is wrong. The rules haven't changed, they're just widely misunderstood. Bourbon has to be at least 51% corn but there is not now nor has there ever been a maximum. Bourbon can be 100% corn. The small grains are optional. Corn whiskey has to be at least 80% corn but can also be 100% corn. Again, the small grains are optional. The difference between corn whiskey and bourbon is that bourbon must be aged in new charred barrels, whereas corn whiskey does not have to be aged. If corn whiskey is aged, it cannot be aged in new charred barrels, because that's makes it bourbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    Thanks! Unfortunately .. I had just read it had to be between 51 & 79% and I was on the wrong side. An inexpensive education & lesson in humility. Well ... maybe not humility!
    So, is there such a creature? A 100% corn (or nearly 100%, maybe 95/5) mashbill aged in charred oak to make it a Bourbon, I mean?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Don't know that there is but there's no reason it can't.

Enthusiast

Things Tour Guides Say - Barton

Hudson Baby Bourbon is 100% corn.
    Jon

Guru

Presumably they add enzymes for the starch conversion?

Enthusiast

If corn whiskey is aged, it cannot be aged in new charred barrels, because that's makes it bourbon
    Can't be aged exclusively, right? I think I remember reading somewhere about one of the corn whiskeys (maybe a micro, so that would throw all logic out the window), was aged in a mix of old and new.

Guru

Must be new barrels to be Bourbon, of course the distillery can use a mix of old and new barrels for corn whisky.

Connoisseur

I wonder if they will start producing Old Dispensary XXXX Corn Whiskey again?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

New uncharred barrels can be used for corn whiskey but it's almost never done due to the expense. New charred barrels cannot be used for corn whiskey, even in combination with used barrels.

Both George Dickel and Jack Daniels could market their white dog as corn whiskey, since the JD mash bill is 80/12/8 and the GD mash bill is 84/8/8.