Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Recent VOB 86 bottlings

The last two bottles I have had of VOB 86 have a profile I have not seen before. It's a good profile, not bad. Up front it has the maple syrup, butterscotch thing going on that is reminiscent of some Canadian whiskeys, specifically Forty Creek Barrel Reserve. Has anyone else noticed this in recent bottlings of VOB?

Guru

Re: Recent VOB 86 bottlings

How recent? I have a bottle I got at Spec's a couple of months ago and I can take a swig or two tonight to compare notes if you want.

Apprentice

This isn't saying much because I've only ever had two bottles of Very Old Barton, and they were both BIB but...one was before Sazerac took over and one was after. Now, they were three years apart so take that for what you will but, they seemed like completely different whiskeys to me. The older VOB tasted more vegetal and reminded me of a Jim Beam product. The newer one tastes much more like something from Buffalo trace, clean, much more up front sweetness with a slight almond flavor, though much more maple syrupy in character than anything I've had from Buffalo Trace.

Also about a month ago I did a tour of both Barton (which was awesome) and Buffalo Trace. I saw the boxes of yeast from Lesaffre/Red Star (a french belgian company if I remember correctly) in big stacks at buffalo trace. When we toured Barton I asked our tour guide where the yeast came from, was it an old strain, was it manufactured and brought in? She told me that it came from a belgian yeast company...which I'm assuming is Lesaffre/Red Star. This might account for a small amount of the similarities.

Conspiracy theories abound I guess. Just throwing it out there...
    Last edited by G-Rat; 04-04-2013 at 08:56.

Guru

Yes, Barton has a marvelous aroma that is not discussed around here that much. For such a lean whisky it has surprisingly rich scent notes.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    How recent? I have a bottle I got at Spec's a couple of months ago and I can take a swig or two tonight to compare notes if you want.
    It should be very recent as I got it at a small store that just started carrying it. Thanks.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    Twith a slight almond flavor, though much more maple syrupy in character than anything I've had from Buffalo Trace.
    Yep that's what I get and I did not get that at all in the VOB BIB I had 3 years ago.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yes, Barton has a marvelous aroma that is not discussed around here that much. For such a lean whisky it has surprisingly rich scent notes.
    Yep it sure does. I tell you what you take this current VOB 86 and age it to say maybe 9 or 10 years and even without increasing the proof it would blow a lot of whiskeys away. Even as it stands it's not as smooth and maybe not as complex as EWSB but it blows it away in terms of pure flavor.

Disciple

The sale of Barton to Sazerac from Constellation was announced in January 2009. I only buy the 100 proof which is 6 years old. How old is the 86 proof? Has Sazerac distilled and aged bourbon made it into the bottles yet? That being said I too have noticed the newer Sazerac bottlings of the 100 proof contain much less banana but figure they are just batching it better but still using Constellation distillate.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    The sale of Barton to Sazerac from Constellation was announced in January 2009. I only buy the 100 proof which is 6 years old. How old is the 86 proof? Has Sazerac distilled and aged bourbon made it into the bottles yet? That being said I too have noticed the newer Sazerac bottlings of the 100 proof contain much less banana but figure they are just batching it better but still using Constellation distillate.
    The 86 proof is 6 years old as well. I did not like the VOB BIB I had 3 years ago..I don't like banana and it was full of it. I've had 4 bottles over the past year of VOB 86 and have not found banana at all.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I think this has got to be what it is. I remember trying it on a trip to chicago. I live in St Louis and can't get VOB BIB around here. Was excited to see it and while I enjoyed it I felt like it wasn't that more special than any other bonded release out there...maybe even just average. However, what they are bottling now is a different animal. I like all of it from Barton from 80-100 and 1792, I think I like the 86 and BIB the best though.

By the way Weller_TX can you get VOB BIB in texas or just the 86 proof? I am planning a move back home this summer.