Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Highland Park 12 notes

This is my first taste of this one, and I'm not an expert at this, neither am I a total novice. This is what I get:

Ocean
    Honey
    Leather
    Iodine
    Band aids
    and waaaaay at the end, smoky burned peat (which is also where the Band aids flavor seems to originate)

It's all very balanced and quite interesting. Not a peat monster at all. Absolutely nothing like bourbon or rye.

I really like HP 12. This might become a staple
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Enthusiast

Re: Highland Park 12 notes

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Absolutely nothing like bourbon or rye.
    I find that I can only enjoy a scotch if I throw the idea out of my mind that it should taste like american whiskey. Like when I drink beer, I'm not trying to compare it to whiskey. Same with scotch. No comparison to bourbon.

Guru

Highland Park 12 notes

Thx for the tasting notes - couldn't agree more!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    I find that I can only enjoy a scotch if I throw the idea out of my mind that it should taste like american whiskey. Like when I drink beer, I'm not trying to compare it to whiskey. Same with scotch. No comparison to bourbon.
    I think this is why so many bourbon drinkers hate scotch. They have a preconception that all whiskey should taste like what they have always had, because it always has, then when they taste the old world stuff it freaks them out.

I started the other way around, scotch and Irish whisky first, then American whiskey later. It worked out better for me that way.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Ocean
    Honey
    Leather
    Iodine
    Band aids
    and waaaaay at the end, smoky burned peat (which is also where the Band aids flavor seems to originate)
    I feel like this would make for a good prompt for a creative writing assignment for your class. Nice notes, like your succinct style.

Disciple

I'm glad to see you enjoyed the HP12 and it is a great SMS to get your feet wet on,great profile and the pricing is quite accessible for most.The HP12 is one that I always have around and all that try it always seem to enjoy,welcome to the Darkside.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

Good notes, Alden, I think of earthy, medicinal minerality with the HP12, very complex. The 15 is a little smoother, sweeter and less complex, but still minerals and Band Aids.

Connoisseur

Hey, is someone talking about me? I'm here to defend myself! What kind of thread would this be if "HP12" didn't chime in?
    Alden, you hit on many of the flavor notes that make up the "darkside" albeit the lighter side of the phenolic spectrum. It's a very good Scotch along with a respectable and affordable price point.

Having a bottle of HP12 in the cabinet is definitely a staple in mine.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HP12 View Post
    Hey, is someone talking about me? I'm here to defend myself! What kind of thread would this be if "HP12" didn't chime in?
    Alden, you hit on many of the flavor notes that make up the "darkside" albeit the lighter side of the phenolic spectrum. It's a very good Scotch along with a respectable and affordable price point.

Having a bottle of HP12 in the cabinet is definitely a staple in mine.
    Yes, your name did come up. A few times.

Connoisseur

I have never gotten even a whiff of peat (the band aids, iodine..stuff) in HP12. But then again I also like the really heavily peated stuff like Laphroaig and Ardbeg..