Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Nominations from the control states

I have two complaints about the availability of bourbon in Ohio: 1) The state sets the price; 2) The state determines what will be sold here.
    Price is not always a major issue even though, for example, Blanton's costs $10 more here than in Arizona where I bought my last two bottles. On occasion, the price for some bourbon is actually lower here. More importantly, some bourbon is not available here regardless of price. So, I buy the Big Three (AAA, OWA, and VOB) by the handle when I'm in KY.
    Some bourbon is supposedly available here, according to the state's website, but that's news to the merchants who supposedly carry it in my county. Weller Reserve, for example, sells for $11.65! Really? If that were true, my local merchant would sell a boat load of it. And WLW has a controlled price of $69.95. Really? That's news to my merchant. He's never seen a bottle.
    With all that rant out of my system, I decided to be grateful for what I've got. Maybe I can't get the Big Three, but I can get Old Ezra 101 for only $14.
    The question for SBers in control states is, what are you glad that you can get even though your state limits your choices?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

Re: Nominations from the control states

You think you have it bad? I moved from Ohio to Utah. The scenery got much better but the heavy hand of the state controlling the alcohol got much worse.

Its not that bad I guess, I can get any and all High West, any and all Wild Turkey, and all the "standard" offerings. We even get a few things I never saw in OH like Rittenhouse BIB.

What I really miss is Great Lakes, Goose Island, and Yuengling.

Taster

I moved from Chicago IL to Durham NC, and I really miss the Goose Island too. But craft beers aside, I'm glad the ABC board at least stocks Booker's and enough other fun things to keep me busy like the Knob Creek Rye.

Enthusiast

MI has twice the selection of any other control state, and three times the selection of one or two of the others (all spirits, not just bourbon), so I rarely complain about living in a control state. The whiskeys I'm most thankful for are Mellow Corn BIB, EW BIB, and Ritt BIB.

What do I wish I could get? It's not a very long list: VOB BIB, VOB 80, HH gold and white BIBs, and Ten High straight. (We get Ten High blend, sadly, but that isn't up to the state AFAIK.)
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

Alabama sucks, too. I have found that I can get some specialty items in licensed private stores at cutthroat prices. That is where I can get things such as Pernod, Campari, and Carpano vermouth. But I will not pay their whiskey prices, so I don't really even pay attention to them.

At the ABC (state) store, there are a few interesting bourbon choices, but nothing super special. On the other hand, the walls are lined with strange vodkas.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Off-hand the only one I crave (or once did) that I can't get in Michigan is Noah's Mill. I say; "once did", because the last bottle I picked up in KY (last fall) didn't seem as lovely and dynamic as the one I acquired there in '10. In a perfect world I'd have gotten bottle of George T. Stagg last fall; but never could. Other than that, I complain about the prices, like many do, but the selection in MI is pretty good for the most part.

We have a pretty good selection in Virginia. We get VOB, all the Bowmans, ETL, Blantons, all the Four roses, all the OGD, The Forrester Birthday bourbons, the BTAC's, an occasional Pappy. So I can't complain much. Wish we got OWA and Weller 12

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    MI has twice the selection of any other control state, and three times the selection of one or two of the others (all spirits, not just bourbon), so I rarely complain about living in a control state. The whiskeys I'm most thankful for are Mellow Corn BIB, EW BIB, and Ritt BIB.

What do I wish I could get? It's not a very long list: VOB BIB, VOB 80, HH gold and white BIBs, and Ten High straight. (We get Ten High blend, sadly, but that isn't up to the state AFAIK.)
    We used to get Ten High as a straight here not too long ago. With a little hunting, you could probably find some.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

I have the same problem Flyfish, I used the Ohio liquor boards website in attempt to track down things such as PVW 15 and Stagg only to be told in some foreign language that they have no clue what the hell I'm talking about (I have no problems with foreigners owning liquor stores, but it can be frustrating at times trying to get them to understand). I have resigned myself to the fact that I will simply have to make pilgrimages to KY or order online to get the "good" stuff.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by VAGentleman View Post
    We have a pretty good selection in Virginia. We get VOB...
    Really? I know that it's in DC, but I've never seen VOB in a Virginia liquor store.

VA does have a pretty decent selection for a control state, though. They have some good sales as well, it's hard to beat 4RSmB for $28 around these parts.