Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Good bottom shelf whiskey

I know Jeff got us going on best for the money last year and we've seen "top 10" and "bottom 10." But I don't recall comments on bottom shelf for awhile.

Chuck suggested I try Old Fitz green label so I just bought a bottle. Good -- though my Weller 12 (not bottom shelf but at $14.99 at liquor barn I've stocked up) is a bit better and not that much more expensive.

So.. what have you ever found on the bottom shelf that you found pretty drinkable?

Guru

Re: Good bottom shelf whiskey

Greg, I just won't buy absolute bottom shelf whiskey. E.g., I have bought Evan Williams black label, but it has been over 30 years since I would buy anything like the green label (I think it is green, I don't even really pay that much attention to it). I wouldn't buy Old Crow, or Jim Beam white label, or Ancient Age, either.

So, while I occasionally fool around with mid-shelf, I just can't talk about bottom shelf, because I don't drink them.

Tim

Disciple

Evan Williams 7 Year - $8
    Ancient Ancient Ager 10 Year - $9.50
    Old Ezra 7/101 - $11
    Very Old Barton BIB - $8.50

Those are generally the low dollar bourbons I reach for most often.

TomC

Guru

But, that just goes with what I was saying, Tom. I don't think any of those you mentioned is the bottom-shelf product of their line. Maybe that is what you meant.

Tim

Administrator in exile

If we're talking about bourbons in the Colonel Lee and Cabin Stills catagory, the only decent one that comes to mind is Ten High. Since I can get AAA for $11 and EW7yo for $8, there isn't much need to go lower.

Advanced Taster

I agree...there are some good drinkable whiskeys in the $10 range give or take a buck....Old Forester for $11 comes to mind. Why bother with Old Crow et all when you really don't save much money and the bottom shelf often is only best with mixers.

Enthusiast

Ancient Age is not bad for the bucks. Ezra Brooks is better than beam white IMHO. Here I can get EC for $13. For the extra $4 it's worth it to get a bottle thats worth $20. I buy others just for a change.

Connoisseur

I agree with the comments and I was thinking mostly of "YOUR" bottom shelf, not the firms'.

And I don't recall my AAA costing only $11 (I think I got it at Turnpike and not Liquor Barn or Party Source), so I would think of AA as low shelf and AAA as mid-to-upper.

Feel free to list other bargains that are YOUR low shelf.

Greg

Disciple

Old Forester 86 is like $9 in Ohio (cheap and close by) and I like it quite a bit so I thought I should add that to my list.

TomC

Connoisseur

I assume your "EC" refers to Elijah Craig? Seems like a good price if you mean the EC 12!

Greg