Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Newb from North Florida

Welcome RK. Are you an employee of the university by any chance?

I'm about 120 minutes south of you, in Ocoee. It's good to see another Floridian here.

I'm like you, new, have a small bunker of bourbon going now, but I still fall back under the influence of the dark side (single malt scotch) from time to time.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Advanced Taster

Welcome from Jax. This place is fantastic. Tons of info. I agree that you need to join the ABC bourbon lottery. I won in Dec and then again in April. Have fun here, and most of FL has been picked clean of dusty's

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jonhalter View Post
    Welcome from Jax. This place is fantastic. Tons of info. I agree that you need to join the ABC bourbon lottery. I won in Dec and then again in April. Have fun here, and most of FL has been picked clean of dusty's
    What's this? Bourbon lottery?
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    What's this? Bourbon lottery?
    The ABC Liquor stores have a bourbon lottery. If you have an "advantage buying card" with ABC all you have to do is go to their website follow the links to the bourbon lottery and type in your number and select which bourbon's you have interest in. The most sought after items are all of the Pappy and Van Winkle options along with WLW and some rare ryes. I haven't been lucky enough to win but with John Halter winning twice recently I am much more optimistic.

Apprentice

John, congrats on winning the bourbon lottery twice. You give me hope. I haven't had your good fortune.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Welcome aboard I think I have met you in chat as well.
    You're right! Sorry, I left you out. You weren't the only one. I think I forgot Cam, too. To be honest, the names from the first night are starting to bleed together with the ones I keep seeing on posts in the forum.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I've really enjoyed my time on here thus far. I have definitely caught the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Welcome RK. Are you an employee of the university by any chance?

Thanks for the welcome. Not a University employee but (and I know that I'm not doing myself any favors with this) I am a Gator. I'm originally from Orlando but moved to town for college ten years ago. I just decided to stay in the promised land .

Quote Originally Posted by BB Slim View Post
    You may be different than me and are able to get the most out of your Pappy's now but if you don't find it significantly more enjoyable than what you are drinking now I would put the cork back in it and save it for awhile and come back to it. The how to get started thread is a very good read. But what the heck do I know. Let's get together and I'll bring the Jefferson's 18 and you can bring the Pappy's and we'll compare.
    Quote Originally Posted by BB Slim View Post

If you haven't already joined the bourbon lottery through ABC liquor I would suggest adding your name.

I haven't opened the bottle of pappy. Along the way, I bought a bottle of ER17. I thought, "I like ER10 why not try the 17." When I tried it, I didn't notice a discernible difference. So, I stuck it on the shelf. When I bought the PVW15, I got the store owner to bundle it with this year's offering of GTS. Right now, all three are sitting on the shelf until I'm "ready." Who knows when that'll be (however, I'm up for a JPS/PVW tasting when that day comes!)

Joining ABC's 'Great Bourbon Lottery' was one of the first things that I did on my quest. Good thing I did, too. The first drawing that I was in, I won the rights to a Lot B. Pretty cool, especially since it was $55 (list price).

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    it is critical that the reason for that visit be that it was your wife's idea.........Trust me friend, you're going to need to think of these things...

Thanks for the advice! After all, the best defense is a good offense.

I agree that you need to join the ABC bourbon lottery. I won in Dec and then again in April. Have fun here, and most of FL has been picked clean of dusty's

What did you draw the rights for?

I'm getting the idea that you're right on the dusty front. I've done a pretty wide canvas of Gainesville over the last month and returned with just one dusty. Don't know if this old enough to be a dusty, but from what I gather it's a great find: 2007 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon for $33.

I found another pseudo-dusty while on vacation (not in Florida), an age stated, paper label Weller Special Reserve. While I was in the shop, I turned down a BHC Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. The labels were falling off and so it looked a little junky. How bad should I be kicking myself that I left it on the shelf ($35)??

I'll post this along with picks of the finds on the dusty thread.

Advanced Taster

I bought a pvw 20 and a lot B. I will enter the lottery again when I can. The B will be opened soon. The 20 will have to wait for a very special occasion

Connoisseur

Hi RK! Welcome to SB! I'm sure you're having a great time already, so I won't say; Have Fun!" as I usually do.
    I will offer you this small bit of advice from an only-slightly-more-experienced taster... PACE YOURSELF! Remember to savor each sip of each acquisition. And, think about what you're doing, staying "in the moment" will increase your satisfaction more than grabbing 'more stuff'.
    I'm a somewhat new Bourbonian myself up in the Southeast Michigan area.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    PACE YOURSELF! Remember to savor each sip of each acquisition. And, think about what you're doing, staying "in the moment" will increase your satisfaction more than grabbing 'more stuff'.
    Well said. Learning what you like and all of the different tastes and nuances is a major part of the fun.