Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Newb from North Florida

My descent into bourbonmania began two months ago, today. My wife and I were visiting some friends in Birmingham, AL. When asked if I wanted a drink, I gave my usual would-you-like-booze reply, "of course!"

"Scotch or bourbon?"
    "Don't know. Not sure if I could tell them apart."
    "Oh, you'll be able to tell."

He gave me two glasses; one with Basil Hayden and another with a since forgotten scotch. The scotch wasn't terrible but wasn't great either. Tasty but burny. But, the Hayden was sweet, delicious and much more approachable.

"Mmm, that's really smooth" (read: "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I really like it")

Our conversation over the next couple nights revolved around bourbon. At some point, Pappy was brought up; the greatest bourbon that I'll never get to try. Somewhere out there exists a mythical unicorn of a whiskey that few, if any, can obtain. My response was two words long: challenge accepted.

My quest for pappy was short lived. I spent two weeks calling around and reading about my unicorn. Then I found it. Waaaay overpriced but I found it. I bristled at the price and hung up the phone. Then over the next couple days, I talked myself into it. Well, I talked myself into "just going and looking at it" which I knew was a bad idea. I went. I looked. I held............ I bought.

I won't say the price because I don't want this thread to turn into another referendum on the price-gouging pappy market. Just know that it's high enough that I'm embarrassed to have paid it (knowing what I know now).

A funny thing happened on my way to pappy, though. I started to enjoy this whole bourbon thing. Nearly every time I went into a shop to inquire about pappy, I bought a bottle. First, I tried Eagle Rare, then Evan Williams Single Barrel, then WL Weller SR, then Bulleit and so on. I found a couple blogs that I enjoyed like Sour Mash Manifesto and Bourbon Dork among others. I came across StraightBourbon and started reading through the threads, voraciously. Then I hit a thread that was closed to the public. So I joined with sole intent of lurking. Then one night, I hear this beeping. Turns out I had unwittingly logged into a chatroom and people were talking to me. So, I chatted. Met FishBowlJoe, Hectic1, Pieface and a couple others. Super welcoming.

Then I heard about dusty hunting. I've been out a couple times to very, very little avail. Apparently, someone has picked Gainesville, FL over. It's still fun but it'd be nice to win once or twice. Any tips/locations (within 50 miles) would be greatly appreciated. I promise not clean someone's honey hole out (among other things, I don't have the capital to do that).

And so, here I am. A budding bourbon enthusiast.

I wasn't going to tell the pappy part this story. I wanted to play this close to the vest and avoid looking like another trendy wannabe. But alas, it's part of my story and I don't know that I'd be here without it. And, boy am I glad to be here.

That's about it. Sorry for the ramble. Thanks for reading.

Advanced Taster

Re: Newb from North Florida

One other thing: how do I get private messaging set up? I'd like to PM a couple Floridian SBers but can't seem to find a place to PM.

Enthusiast

Welcome to the blog,

Lots of good folks here and lots to learn. You were right not to mention the price................................

To send a PM just click on the user name and selct email. Thats it.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Virtuoso

Welcome aboard. Always good to have a new member from Florida.

Sounds like you have caught the Bourbon Fever. Fun isn't it?

Virtuoso

Good Day and welcome from up in Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Rkkingsley View Post
    One other thing: how do I get private messaging set up? I'd like to PM a couple Floridian SBers but can't seem to find a place to PM.
    You don't have that privilege yet give it time and you will have it. Welcome aboard I think I have met you in chat as well. Keep us informed of your bourbon adventure and come back to chat.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

Welcome aboard, RK! Nice introduction and it appears that within a short time you're off and running with a thirst for more bourbon knowledge. Enjoy!
    Jon

Apprentice

Welcome from fairly nearby in Daytona Beach. Just joined myself a few weeks back. From my limited experience a very welcoming and supportive group of people here. Needless to say from your intro you have jumped into the bourbon world with both feet. I like your enthusiasm for going straight to the mountain top and scoring a bottling of Pappy's. I did the same thing when I first discovered bourbon, about 12 years ago, and splurged on a bottle of Pappy's 23yr. I often think about how little I was able to appreciate that bottle then. You may be different than me and are able to get the most out of your Pappy's now but if you don't find it significantly more enjoyable than what you are drinking now I would put the cork back in it and save it for awhile and come back to it. The how to get started thread is a very good read. But what the heck do I know. Let's get together and I'll bring the Jefferson's 18 and you can bring the Pappy's and we'll compare.

If you haven't already joined the bourbon lottery through ABC liquor I would suggest adding your name. They get an allotment of hard to find bourbon's (including Pappy's) which they sell at retail through a lottery. I'm sure the odds are stacked against us but worth adding your name. Cheers!

Guru

Hello RK, welcome aboard.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Welcome, RK! I hope you enjoy your time here on SB.com, and also your foray into Bourbonia.

I do have one piece of very important advice for you. It pertains to your second sentence that you wrote: "My wife and I were visiting friends in Birmingham, AL." As that visit was the impetus for what brings you here, and for the inevitable affliction of "Whiskirexia Nervosa" that you will contract, it is critical that the reason for that visit be that it was your wife's idea. It's even better if you said that you didnt' even want to go. So, when she starts on you for your quickly growing bunker, countless hours spent here on SB, frantic turns into seedy liquor stores at 10:30 PM, wedding anniversary trips to Bardstown, KY, naming your son Basil or Julian or Parker, etc., you can counter with it is her fault for dragging you to Alabama in the first place. Trust me friend, you're going to need to think of these things...

Cheers, and welcome again!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama