Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Errors on COLA's going up?

TTB simply has a policy of not discussing its enforcement actions. I think they should be more answerable to the public they are charged to protect, but that's the way it is. Presumably, they believe they will receive better cooperation from producers if they are discrete. If it comes to a point where they penalize somebody for something, that's public, but if they negotiate a corrected label or persuade a producer to change its practice, that's confidential. If you think that's wrong, write to your representatives.

I have one example of something being changed due to my own complaints to TTB, in the case of Jack Daniel's Rye.

TTB is not equipped to actually investigate label claims. They count on two things: (1) voluntary compliance, which in fact they get probably 99% of the time, and (2) competitors ratting out offenders. The majors don't hesitate to rat each other out, but the idealistic micro-distillers are still too collegial for that. They'll get over it.

Guru

We're all in this together until the ship springs a leak.

Virtuoso

Well Matusalem is still using the same label and they have been proven to be infusing flavors. The TTB says don't bother us when asked for information on the inquiry. It's disappointing.

My suspicion is that since there is no firm legal definition of Rum that I am aware of the producers can always use the "traditional technique" or "traditional family recipe" ... "and it's always been called Rum" excuse. And the TTB is OK with that.

So many surprisingly bold fruit flavors mysteriously emerge from old multiple use Bourbon barrels and no one seems to be questioning it or doing anything about it.

Sorry to blow off steam about my Rum disappointments here on a Bourbon forum. Done now.

Guru

So file under the Freedom of Information Act, that's what it's for.

Advanced Taster

We once sent a very technical label to the TTB that talked about "high wines" and they rejected it because it was a spirit. I just had to laugh.