Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sad day in Iowa no more FRSB

This weekend I was buying some bourbon at the local liquor store. This purchase included a bottle of FRSB. The teller told me that she thought the owner had told her that she wasn't going to be able to get that any more. I asked why and she said the state was not going to sell it any more. When I got home I emailed someone at the state liquor controllers office and asked about it. This morning I got a reply back this is what I got.

Paul,
    Four Roses recently was delisted effective August 1st. This product was simply not doing enough in sales and did not meet the criteria to remain listed. This product is still available through special order, it will just not be a permanent listing in the state of Iowa.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
    Nicole Scebold

Special order if I'm not mistaken means you have to buy a case.I don't think the state of Iowa gave this product enough time to get a following. It had already picked up one in this town and I was the only one that knew what it was a year ago.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Re: Sad day in Iowa no more FRSB

That's a serious bummer. What is the listed price for it in Iowa? It just may be worth getting a case now or perhaps a few bottles to bunker until you make your next trip across the border to Illinois.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Special order if I'm not mistaken means you have to buy a case.
    As lousy as that is, there are worse things in life than being burdened with a case of FRSB
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Disciple

They just need more shelf space for all that fairy tale Iowa rye whiskey .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

The state listed it at $29.99. Prior to being listed, only a couple of stores carried it and it was $45-50. After it got listed the prices dropped to $35-40 and you could get it about anywhere. I guess Van Gogh Peanut Butter the Jelly flavored vodka makes the cut, but 4 Roses bourbon doesn't. Boo Iowa ABD.

Enthusiast

Paul is right; they didn't give it enough time. They also did it a disservice by not listing 4 Roses Yellow or small batch. Jumping straight to the 'premium' in a new market without the more moderately priced options available is setting it up for failure. Bourbon drinkers that aren't famililar with the product are going to be more apt to try a bottle of 4R Yellow, like it (which they almost surely will), and then step up to the SB if its in their price range.

The people that run the Iowa liquor control must all be drunks because every thing on the selves is bottom self or low middle shelf. They wouldn't know a decent liquor if it bit them in the ass.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

The people that run the Iowa liquor control must all be drunks because every thing on the selves is bottom self or low middle shelf. They wouldn't know a decent liquor if it bit them in the ass.
    Well, we are talking about Iowa here....
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Taster

This makes me very sad. It's already hard enough to get any variety here, now they have to take away one of the good bottles.

Guru

It sounds like they're morons who are only looking at revenue dollars - like it costs them a bunch of money to offer more bottles on the shelves. If they were really interested in what was best for the market, they'd get out of being so actively involved IN the market
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins