Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

One for the little guys!

I'm not a fan of "craft" whiskey. Its too woody and young; there is something statutory about it all. But I had a chance to taste Journeyman Distillery's Kissing Cousins at WhiskeyFest this year, and I was impressed. It wasn't liquid gold - but it was good..more than just palatable, which I think goes a long way. Kissing Cousins is only a year old and finished in a Cabernet Sauvignon barrel. The wine influence is strong and flavor profile is not typical - but its good, so who cares. If I run across a bottle, I'll buy one.

We crap on a lot of "craft" whiskey here on SB, and most of it is merited (check out the most recent "Cleveland Bourbon Whiskey" thread). But there might be some decent micros lurking out there. Are there any that you are willing to plug on SB? If so, what bottles are worth our time and money?
    Last edited by Dolph Lundgren; 05-07-2013 at 06:22.
    Justin

Advanced Taster

Re: One for the little guys!

i'm digging koval's lines. i'm really crushing on dark oat with this warmer weather.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Guru

I an in favor of craft whiskys and wish success to all who make their own stock. I doubt I'll be a customer though because I view whisky as a daily commodity and since there is an abundance of first rate four year old stuff available at rock bottom prices I won't be paying a premium for craft products. Twenty years ago perhaps but not now, wish them well though.

I've tried a bunch of craft bourbons and have yet to try one that tasted good to my palette. Hopefully some of the micro's will go to bigger barrels and let them age more. That being said a few of the non bourbon whiskies are interesting and have a decent taste such as Balcones Brimstone and MB Roland Black Dog.

Trippah and Admin

Tom's Foolery doesn't have any whiskey in release yet, but what I've tasted from their aging stock makes me very hopeful that I will find a micro that I can drink.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

The only micro I've been impressed with is the Leopold Bros. American Small Batch Whiskey. It doesn't try to be a highly-aged product, but it's great for what it is. I'd like to try the McKenzie Rye, as well as other things Tom makes when they get older.

Guru

I really like some of the things that Corsair is doing. Balcones, too.

Advanced Taster

I've only had Balcones True Blue, but I thought it was a very tasty high proof corn whiskey.If I see any of their other offerings at a bar I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

Enthusiast

I think the majority opinion is that craft distillers can't compete with the establishment for traditional whisky, and especially bourbon. This often results in a business model that requires a brand to make a name for themselves with a product that is unique, that doesn't directly compete with Beam, HH, BT, etc. The result is whisky with flavor profiles that can be polarizing to consumers, or that requires gimmicky marketing to make it on retail shelves.

I personally like Woodinville Whiskey Rye, but for its $50 asking price (after 55% Washington State taxes) I would pick up a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB or Bulleit Rye at nearly half the price for a better bottle. The craft distillers need to make a product that has no alternative (and optionally with a plan to offer a good 4 to 6 year old product in quantity). Balcones and Corsair are two that come to mind that are doing this successfully. I would be surprised if any craft distillers are making "traditional" whisky that is both 1) equally as good as an established product and 2) competitively priced with an established product.

Connoisseur

We have one here, Winter Park Distilling Company. I tried their "Bear Gully Corn" and it just tasted like vodka to me.

http://www.wpdistilling.com/

This is more interesting to me. When I was a kid my dad would take me on drives to Winter Park's Genius Drive, where there were flocks of wild peacocks. It's a back road in WP where some one long ago started raising the birds and they just flourished for many years.

http://www.wpdistilling.com/page8.html
    Last edited by Alden; 05-07-2013 at 16:18.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway