Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Disciple

One for the little guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    We have one here, Winter Park Distilling Company. I tried their "Bear Gully Corn" and it just tasted like vodka to me.

http://www.wpdistilling.com/

This is more interesting to me. When I was a kid my dad would take me on drives to Winter Park's Genius Drive, where there were flocks of wild peacocks. It's a back road in WP where some one long ago started raising the birds and they just flourished for many years.

http://www.wpdistilling.com/page8.html
    How about that single barrel that has some age on it? Have you tried that? Nicely proofed... They say it's a traditional charred oak barrel, wonder if their traditions extend to full size barrels?
    Jim

Connoisseur

Re: One for the little guys!

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    How about that single barrel that has some age on it? Have you tried that? Nicely proofed... They say it's a traditional charred oak barrel, wonder if their traditions extend to full size barrels?
    Not yet. It's kind of expensive.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Taster

Nothing starts as a massive mainstream institution.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I an in favor of craft whiskys and wish success to all who make their own stock. I doubt I'll be a customer though because I view whisky as a daily commodity and since there is an abundance of first rate four year old stuff available at rock bottom prices I won't be paying a premium for craft products. Twenty years ago perhaps but not now, wish them well though.
    I'm with ya' squire. I truly hope that at least a few of the crafters do well and succeed in bringing to market some interesting, and even innovative juice. I'm no fan of 'flavored' stuff, but I'm hopeful that there are other things (Balcones has a few, and to a more-flavored extent so does Corsair) they can/will do to make a marketable product at a profit. However, I'm also with ya' on the price comparisons to juice that's almost always much better/cheaper from the big boys. A conundrum, I know. I hope they succeed; just not on my dime, at least not 'til they bring prices way down....

Guru

One of the most interesting whiskies I've tasted in a long time was Corsair's Old Punk (think bourbon meets pumpkin spice latte). I'm also typically not a big fan of flavored whiskey, but as I sipped that Old Punk I could envision sitting out back in the fall watching the leaves fall. When I asked where I could buy it, they shattered the dreamscape I had painted by telling me it wasn't in production, and not sure if it would make it to retail (one of their "experimental" items they brought to the tasting). Some of the other stuff from them I've tried has been interesting as well. Unfortunately it is all understandably more expensive, as they have to recoup the fixed costs the larger distilleries have already covered. But something really unique (like that Old Punk) would get a place in my cabinet if it wasn't outrageous (ie - somewhere under $50).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Kissing Cousins? Too close in name to my special blend Cousin Touchers... oh well, I didn't try it. I do like Koval's Bourbon it's unique. But too pricey for me to be a customer.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Advanced Taster

up until a couple months ago, old punk was in many of the local shops here in chicago. i think they're still at a couple of my locals. what i'm looking forward to being released is grainiac though.

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    One of the most interesting whiskies I've tasted in a long time was Corsair's Old Punk (think bourbon meets pumpkin spice latte). I'm also typically not a big fan of flavored whiskey, but as I sipped that Old Punk I could envision sitting out back in the fall watching the leaves fall. When I asked where I could buy it, they shattered the dreamscape I had painted by telling me it wasn't in production, and not sure if it would make it to retail (one of their "experimental" items they brought to the tasting). Some of the other stuff from them I've tried has been interesting as well. Unfortunately it is all understandably more expensive, as they have to recoup the fixed costs the larger distilleries have already covered. But something really unique (like that Old Punk) would get a place in my cabinet if it wasn't outrageous (ie - somewhere under $50).
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post

Thanks, Gary. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Another craft that I thought was interesting was the Balcones Brimstone - the Octomore of American whiskey. That scrub smoke was powerful! Not an everyday (or everyweek) pour, but worthy of consideration if you're feeling adventurous.

This is a bit of a deviation from bourboun, but the blogging-heads keep fawning over the Balcones single malt. Got any of that at Ds, Brett?
    Justin

Advanced Taster

justin,

i have a bottle so you can try some tomorrow. it's good. pear and brown sugar and juicy malt. it's good, not trying to be scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    Thanks, Gary. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Another craft that I thought was interesting was the Balcones Brimstone - the Octomore of American whiskey. That scrub smoke was powerful! Not an everyday (or everyweek) pour, but worthy of consideration if you're feeling adventurous.

This is a bit of a deviation from bourboun, but the blogging-heads keep fawning over the Balcones single malt. Got any of that at Ds, Brett?
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Advanced Taster

The Balcones Single Malt is damn fine whiskey...from a big or small distillery...it's good.