Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: One for the little guys!

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    The only micro I've been impressed with is the Leopold Bros. American Small Batch Whiskey. It doesn't try to be a highly-aged product, but it's great for what it is. I'd like to try the McKenzie Rye, as well as other things Tom makes when they get older.
    I bought some of the McKenzie Rye today. I really like it. It's only aged a year, but they use smaller casks and then finish it in sherry casks. It doesn't taste young at all. It reminds me of Scotch.

Connoisseur

I'm going to put in some votes for:
    Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye
    McKenzie whiskies
    Tom's Foolery Distillery
    Delaware Phoenix Distillery
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I'm going to put in some votes for:
    Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye
    McKenzie whiskies
    Tom's Foolery Distillery
    Delaware Phoenix Distillery
    How is the Dad's Hat in comparison to the Old Overholts or old 70's/80's ryes from PA?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

I think Dad's Hat is a very tasty young rye. I personally prefer it to Old Overholt. And if you get a chance check out their Vermouth Aged Rye. Really interesting.

Guru

I have a 200ml bottle of '77 Old Overholt so I'm curious if the Dad's Hat is in that tradition of Pennsylvania rye - if you think it's better, I may need to start bunkering up on the Dad's Hat.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    I think Dad's Hat is a very tasty young rye. I personally prefer it to Old Overholt. And if you get a chance check out their Vermouth Aged Rye. Really interesting.
    The vermouth aged rye is great. Taste just like a Manhatan!

Novice

[QUOTE=Dolph Lundgren;340759]I'm not a fan of "craft" whiskey. Its too woody and young; there is something statutory about it all. But I had a chance to taste Journeyman Distillery's Kissing Cousins at WhiskeyFest this year, and I was impressed. It wasn't liquid gold - but it was good..more than just palatable, which I think goes a long way. Kissing Cousins is only a year old and finished in a Cabernet Sauvignon barrel. The wine influence is strong and flavor profile is not typical - but its good, so who cares. If I run across a bottle, I'll buy one.

My wife set up a tour this last weekend for us for our anniversary (yes, she's the best) at Journeyman here in Michigan. They didn't have Kissing Cousins but of the 5 whiskey's I did taste, I liked them all - some more than others obviously. The bourbon I thought was very tasty. I was apprehensive because of all the negatives of small barrels, but I enjoyed them.

Dolph, the distillery is just around the lake from you. It would make a nice day trip.

Enthusiast

[QUOTE=mhatzung;372079]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    I'm not a fan of "craft" whiskey. Its too woody and young; there is something statutory about it all. But I had a chance to taste Journeyman Distillery's Kissing Cousins at WhiskeyFest this year, and I was impressed. It wasn't liquid gold - but it was good..more than just palatable, which I think goes a long way. Kissing Cousins is only a year old and finished in a Cabernet Sauvignon barrel. The wine influence is strong and flavor profile is not typical - but its good, so who cares. If I run across a bottle, I'll buy one.

My wife set up a tour this last weekend for us for our anniversary (yes, she's the best) at Journeyman here in Michigan. They didn't have Kissing Cousins but of the 5 whiskey's I did taste, I liked them all - some more than others obviously. The bourbon I thought was very tasty. I was apprehensive because of all the negatives of small barrels, but I enjoyed them.

Dolph, the distillery is just around the lake from you. It would make a nice day trip.
    Oh, I've been. What a great space in a cool little artsy town. I totally dig it. When I was there I enjoyed the Ravenswood Rye and the Silver Cross, but I really didn't care for the Featherbone Bourbon. The strong wood influence of small barrels was less on the rye. I saw a few larger 53 gallon barrels in their storage room, so maybe they're transitioning. I think, given the quality of the their distillate, their whiskey aged 5 to 8 years in a regular sized barrel would be great (especially at cask strength).
    Justin

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    The vermouth aged rye is great. Taste just like a Manhatan!
    That sounds awesome! I imagine the Vermouth influence would work wonders. Dave over at High West released a Double Rye aged 6 months in a reused Manhattan-aged cocktail barrel and it was fantastic - a 90 proof Manhattan. All it needed was a cherry and you were good to go.
    Justin

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SqueakScolari View Post
    I bought some of the McKenzie Rye today. I really like it. It's only aged a year, but they use smaller casks and then finish it in sherry casks. It doesn't taste young at all. It reminds me of Scotch.
    let me add to this, the rye you get from us today is 3 year old rye aged in standard 53 gallon barrels. Still finished in sherry barrels. When first released it was aged a year in small barrels. But the whole time, we were stacking it away in 53s as well.