Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Guru

Amusing, yet scary...

The latest post on the K&L Spirits Journal has a copy of Robert Parker of wine fame(?) giving his reviews on Bourbon!

Really on top of that GTS! It is indeed pushing 100 proof...

And I am guessing as David did that "Rollins Creek" is supposed to be Rowan's Creek. He must have really enjoyed drinking that one!

I guess we better stock up on the Old Bardstown Black Label before the masses clear it out! Or KBD changes the source.

Although at least we share some common ground with Hudson Baby Bourbon. I didn't much care for that one either.

Just what we need to get the latest craze chasers to suck up for no discernable reason what little quality bourbon is out there...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Re: Amusing, yet scary...

This is an extremely unfortunate development.

Enthusiast

Amusing, yet scary...

Wow he gave some of those some ridiculously high scores.
    Hudson sucked - 82 points

I don't even know where to go with this line:
    They make a pre-blended Manhattan that is a killer, but the two whiskies I tried included their least expensive, Campfire. It is a silky smooth blend displaying hints of a Highland-like peatiness intermixed with sweet caramel, subtle wood smoke and spice box.

Enthusiast

For the newcomers to Bourbon: more scary than amusing.
    Those with well stocked bunkers have a tough decision to make: laugh at the feeding frenzy while drinking the nectar, OR sell and use the profits to retire.

Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey; Bottled 12/27/12; 93 proof; from the Blanton Distillery Co., Frankfort, KY with no indication of age; Packaged in a squat, designer bottle with a horse and jockey on the cork-finished top.
    Smoky, woodsy, caramelized flavors of brown sugar, honey and maple syrup include a hint of wood. With a light to medium amber color, a full-bodied, gorgeously textured, fleshy, broad, savory mouthfeel, and no harshness, this is either a brilliant master blend or a bourbon with some serious age.

Sad ...
    Last edited by portwood; 05-07-2013 at 11:43.

Guru

Stop the presses, Mr. Parker has discovered Bourbon.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by enn View Post

They make a pre-blended Manhattan that is a killer, but the two whiskies I tried included their least expensive, Campfire. It is a silky smooth blend displaying hints of a Highland-like peatiness intermixed with sweet caramel, subtle wood smoke and spice box.
    when we met dave perkins at delilah's during whiskey week, he did confirm that the scotch element in campfire was a highland...
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by enn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by omgmarclol View Post
    when we met dave perkins at delilah's during whiskey week, he did confirm that the scotch element in campfire was a highland...
    Yes, Highlands can sometimes have a soft peaty characteristic that is somewhat different from the brasher Islay/Island style more typically associated with peat. Glendronach 15 Revival has a bit of that. So I will give him a pass on that one.

Besides there is so much more to make fun of!

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Mr. Parker has many wines rated 90 plus that shouldn't be but yeah this will certainly feed the frenzy for another year. Something about Blanton's that attracts the wine guys too. A few years back Gary Vaynerchuk was raving about it. I know a certified sommelier who believes it and Eagle Rare are the best bourbons.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    ......................... Something about Blanton's that attracts the wine guys too. A few years back Gary Vaynerchuk was raving about it. .............
    Its that cute little man on the horsey.................................
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."