Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Amusing, yet scary...

Maybe the tone of the response is too much for some, but I don't understand all of the people who...don't understand the reaction. He's wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong about nearly everything that isn't a tasting note. Yes, the actual tasting notes are descriptive and obviously written by a professional beverage journalist/reviewer. Which is what makes the pervasive mistakes all the more maddening.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Yes, the actual tasting notes are descriptive and obviously written by a professional beverage journalist/reviewer.
    and since he already has the vocabulary of a reviewer, how hard could it have been to pile together some of the same descriptors and call it a bourbon review?
    Last edited by miller542; 05-10-2013 at 12:32.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by elbowguru View Post
    All joking aside, I did see every bottle of Weller 12 under lock and key in a regular stop of mine starting a few weeks back, which was odd. I can't imagine what prompted that move.
    Customers with sticky fingers could be one reason. One of my local stores has all of their Johnnie Walker Black bottles behind the counter because too many were getting stolen. They have many higher-priced bottles of single malt scotch out on the shelves, but apparently the JW Black was a pilferage problem.

Raising the bottles' Veblen value (it's locked in the fancy cabinet... it MUST be good and worth the higher price!) to increase sales is another.
    Last edited by Kalessin; 05-10-2013 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    Customers with sticky fingers could be one reason.
    Local Total Wine had regular Hennessy in the cases, along with $200+ armagnacs and cognacs. Open shelves next to it had $120+ bottles of stuff. When we asked what was going on, they too replied that it seemed to be a popular item to steal.

Guru

I'm not surprised one of our members found Old Bardstown to "taste a lot like" Evan Williams. The primary difference is EW is smoother and costs a lot less.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I'm not surprised one of our members found Old Bardstown to "taste a lot like" Evan Williams. The primary difference is EW is smoother and costs a lot less.
    :thumbup: Ain't that the truth.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    This piece by Sku is hilarious. Between this and Tim's take on the issue, I'm inclined to think the LAWS guys are taking comedy writing lessons between whiskey tastings.
    Haha! Fantastic.

Guru

Skewered, as it were.

Guru

Showing on Netflix is a movie titled 'Corked' which is a parody of pretentiousness in the Northern California Wine country. One of the characters is the most influential wine critic Richard Parsons. His palate is insured for one million dollars, he doesn't shake hands and no one is allowed to speak to him.

Connoisseur

If you can find it watch the documentary Mondovino (world of wine).

It's very interesting, very entertaining, and in some ways probably pertains to the world of whiskey as well.

As I recall, Parker is in it.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway