Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Amusing, yet scary...

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    If you can find it watch the documentary Mondovino (world of wine).

It's very interesting, very entertaining, and in some ways probably pertains to the world of whiskey as well.

As I recall, Parker is in it.
    In addition to Mondovino the book The Accidental Connoisseur by Lawrence Osborne is an excellent read into the wine world and its themes can pertain to our whiskey world (Osborne says "wine is 99 percent psychological, a creation of where you are and with whom")

As long as we're piling on , here is an entertaining write up which was originally linked to by the the Whis(e)y Apostle Blog summarizing the arguments for wine tasting, ratings, reviews and descriptions being full of BS. It includes the exception too.

http://io9.com/wine-tasting-is-bulls...-why-496098276
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Quote Originally Posted by elbowguru View Post
    I've spent plenty of time talking through bulletproof, but this shop was a somewhat touristy Liquor Barn. Why they would move Weller 12, something I've never had a problem picking up, to a display case escapes me.
    It's hard to believe, but the current bottling of Weller 12 has become so allocated in Kentucky that it is now on lock-down in many stores. TPS in Bellevue has done this, as well. One bottle to a customer, there, at present.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Barrel_Proof View Post
    It's hard to believe, but the current bottling of Weller 12 has become so allocated in Kentucky that it is now on lock-down in many stores. TPS in Bellevue has done this, as well. One bottle to a customer, there, at present.
    Same in Illinois. We need special permission to order. They never said specifically we were allocated X but in order to order a few cases they had to go higher up. Scary times on the horizon?
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Guru

Good write up Thad with which I totally agree. When dining out with friends I am routinely asked to choose the wine for the table and I know just enough about the stuff to pronounce the names of some of 'em. A little bullshit, spread thin, will cover a surprisingly large area.

Advanced Taster

Hmm. That's interesting. I started buying it in handles last year when I heard rumors of it becoming an annual release.
    Too many people have caught on, I guess.

Disciple

Another thing that is proving even more difficult to procure,good price,nice age stated bourbon and now the buzz has caught on it's very difficult to buy.W12 was all over locally a year ago,now I have one store 30 miles away and that is it,that's it.Glad it is one of the things I have put away in numbers because who knows where this one is going either with all the attention focused on the Van Winkle line,I hate the word allocated.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

It must be a regional thing. You can find cases, upon cases, upon cases of W12 in most liquor stores around here and it's cheaper than OWA.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

Same here, donno why.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    It must be a regional thing. You can find cases, upon cases, upon cases of W12 in most liquor stores around here and it's cheaper than OWA.
    I noticed that when I was out there Joe, every store was flush with W12. But NOBODY around here has it. Ok by me, I don't really like it, except to blend.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Advanced Taster

This may be old news or not true, but when I was in Louisville last week, having dinner at Bourbon's Bistro, the bartender said his distributor told him that Julian Van Winkle was buying up the W12 stock for their own release and that it would be scarce until around October.