Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Amusing, yet scary...

I do love the idea of Parkerphiles plowing up the pavement to get bottles of Old Bardstown, since Old Bardstown is of course the best kept secret in whiskeydom (spread the word). I sure hope Drew and company have hiked up the price.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Who makes up this nonsense ... and for what reason? That such a tall tale is being told by the Bourbons Bistro is rather sad to say the least. I have no reason to expect better, but it's still disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowes View Post
    ... when I was in Louisville last week, having dinner at Bourbon's Bistro, the bartender said his distributor told him that Julian Van Winkle was buying up the W12 stock for their own release ... .
    Last edited by Barrel_Proof; 05-19-2013 at 18:13.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Guru

I suppose there are some folks that feel special about possessing 'inside information'.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrel_Proof View Post
    It's hard to believe, but the current bottling of Weller 12 has become so allocated in Kentucky that it is now on lock-down in many stores. TPS in Bellevue has done this, as well. One bottle to a customer, there, at present.
    We havent had any for a couple of months. It sells out in less than a week. We also now have a list for customers to call when Weller 12 arrives. Sad but not really surprising considering the value of older bourbon nowadays.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by brettckeen View Post
    Same in Illinois. We need special permission to order. They never said specifically we were allocated X but in order to order a few cases they had to go higher up. Scary times on the horizon?
    For what it's worth, here in NYC I am seeing Weller 12 more prevalently. I used to only ever see at it at one store. In the last few months it has appeared at a few stores that are not especially high end.

When I saw it, I was reminded of the anxiety many of us have discussed about another age-stated bourbon biting the dust, especially one that could presumably be packaged in a Lot B bottle and sold for 3X the price. But the small slice of anecdotal evidence here in NYC suggests otherwise.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    As long as we're piling on , here is an entertaining write up which was originally linked to by the the Whis(e)y Apostle Blog summarizing the arguments for wine tasting, ratings, reviews and descriptions being full of BS. It includes the exception too.

http://io9.com/wine-tasting-is-bulls...-why-496098276
    Thank you for this! Loved the article and laughed a few times reading it. Good stuff!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Psychological research has shown that people who believe in conspiracy theories have trouble accepting the randomness of existence. They have trouble accepting that most bad things happen for no reason. They believe there has to be someone at fault, someone to blame. I had the same reaction Cliff did. If bartenders at Bourbon's Bistro are that badly informed, and understand the industry that poorly, that makes me sad. But these rumors sometimes gets started and attributed to an 'authority' who is not actually the source. That's hard to check out too.

Amusing, yet scary...

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Psychological research has shown that people who believe in conspiracy theories have trouble accepting the randomness of existence. They have trouble accepting that most bad things happen for no reason. They believe there has to be someone at fault, someone to blame. I had the same reaction Cliff did. If bartenders at Bourbon's Bistro are that badly informed, and understand the industry that poorly, that makes me sad. But these rumors sometimes gets started and attributed to an 'authority' who is not actually the source. That's hard to check out too.
    The people at bourbons are usually quite knowledgeable.

I think a number of reports/rumors/facts/unknowns were skewed to come up with the story.

The van winkles do need quite a bit of the aging wheated stock at BT. How much of it BT has and how much would have gone into weller12 are the big unknowns.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Parkersback View Post
    For what it's worth, here in NYC I am seeing Weller 12 more prevalently. I used to only ever see at it at one store. In the last few months it has appeared at a few stores that are not especially high end.

When I saw it, I was reminded of the anxiety many of us have discussed about another age-stated bourbon biting the dust, especially one that could presumably be packaged in a Lot B bottle and sold for 3X the price. But the small slice of anecdotal evidence here in NYC suggests otherwise.
    I don't shop around but the liquor store that I frequent carries Weller 12. Of course, it is in the 'burbs of Indy.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I don't shop around but the liquor store that I frequent carries Weller 12. Of course, it is in the 'burbs of Indy.
    We've been seeing it more and more in the Indy area over the past year. Don't know why, but not complaining at all! The selection around here ain't half bad lately. All that's missing are Larceny, VOB BIB and AAA 10yr.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay