Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Amusing, yet scary...

Blantons deserves the accolades, I've seen it beat out 20 year Pappy in a blind tasting.

Enthusiast

"In the mouth, it is elegant by bourbon standards, silky smooth and persistent as well as surprisingly subtle, gracious and refined. If that's what you're looking for, and persistent as well as surprisingly subtle, gracious and refined. If that's what you're looking for, give this bourbon a try, but its understated personality will be something you either love or find lacking"

You know, if that's what your looking for...
    Justin

Enthusiast

You just can't escape the fact that bourbon is an exceptional spirit. And when you have "brand ambassadors" running around trying to peddle the millions of barrels that are aging in the hills of Kentucky and elsewhere, it's inevitable that we'll be seeing articles like this popping up. I, for one, enjoy seeing a guy dipping into this stuff and discovering how damn good it is. Is it puppy love? Perhaps it will keep his readers busy chasing the elusive and oversold and overeverythingelse Pappy while we bunker up. Bourbon Survivors unite! I'm just thankful he didn't get a hold of a bottle of OGD.... oh, never mind.
    Jon

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    I'm just thankful he didn't get a hold of a bottle of OGD....
    The packaging* isn't sexy enough for him so it would probably get a terrible score - which in Parker's world is anything in the mid 80's.

* notice how often he refers to the bottle/packaging in the reviews?

I found it interesting that his entry to tasting were certainly not "entry level" bourbons. It would be like starting a "wine newby" on 45-60 dollar wines on up to a 200 dollar bottle of Opus One or even higher. God forbid that you would start with a 15 dollar wine that is representative of a grape variety. It reminds me of a song with the lyrics "down here with the rest of us." Those so inclined should raise a glass of mid to lower shelf bourbon in honor of Mr. Parker this evening. He will not be bothering us where the working class sipper resides.

Connoisseur

Articles like this really make me appreciate SB.com and the wonderful people that contribute.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Blantons deserves the accolades, I've seen it beat out 20 year Pappy in a blind tasting.
    Those blind tasters have the most refined palates. Too bad they cant see the bottle like Robert - the whiskeys could have scored themselves a couple more points!
    Last edited by Dolph Lundgren; 05-07-2013 at 13:35.
    Justin

Trippah and Admin

How is a wine guy reviewing bourbon any more of a negative impact on supply than the dozens of who have shown that it only takes a computer and spare time to start a whiskey blog and be seen as an "expert"?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    How is a wine guy reviewing bourbon any more of a negative impact on supply than the dozens of who have shown that it only takes a computer and spare time to start a whiskey blog and be seen as an "expert"?
    Mostly because of which wine guy it is. He is the "Oprah" of wine guys who has a following that is likely to respond in a Pavlovian manner that could easily spread amongst the ever powerful onslaught of roobs!

Or something like that...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Robert Parker on an average day has more of an impact on booze economics than the impact of every blog post ever written, taken from every single blogger since the invention of the internet, added together, and multiplied by 1,000.
    Last edited by David D; 05-07-2013 at 14:09.