Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: Amusing, yet scary...

Heh, hyperbole need not apply.

As I scanned the bottles listed in your blog post, there's not one that I would miss if the Johnny Come Lately wine drinkers bought up every last retail bottle.

Cowdery did more damage to bourbon availability with his recent blog about value bottles, IMO.

Let the retailers answer the countless Pappy and BTAC calls if it keeps noobs out of the middle to lower shelf zone. :thumbup:
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Mostly I'd agree, save the 4R SmB, which I already expect to be tougher to find this year. This surely won't make it any easier.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    How is a wine guy reviewing bourbon any more of a negative impact on supply than the dozens of who have shown that it only takes a computer and spare time to start a whiskey blog and be seen as an "expert"?
    I guess he's popular when it comes to wine, but anyone whose scale has a broad range of 82-100 (really - nothing lower than an 82, and way too many north of 95??) to me is a nincompoop. I know tastes differ, and also that a lot of sheeple out there will shop "by the score" without reading any details. Let them stupid folks stroll past any Handy, Stagg, PHC 2012, or FR2012LESmB in order to get the primo stuff with higher scores - like ER10, Old Bardstown Black Label, and Noah's Mill.

I find this a sad commentary on our times, that "celebrity" requires not "credibility" (which is not for a minute to insinuate I know anything more than he does on the topic - but if Old Bardstown Black Label was a better dram than PHC2012 - I think the invisible hand of the market would have cleared the shelves of the stuff a long time ago).

On the plus side - maybe now they will
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Blantons deserves the accolades, I've seen it beat out 20 year Pappy in a blind tasting.
    Thank goodness for squire as the voice of reason on these boards. He is always the champion of the under appreciated value pours or just plain common sense.The rest of us benefit from him calling us back form the siren song of the Pappy and BTACs of the bourbon world. Thanks squire!
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

And to clarify, Blanton's is not a value pour except when compared to current retail (or secondary market) for Pappy 20!
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Disciple

Okay my last post on the subject but I'm with David D and Bruce's title word "scary". Who knows the long tem effect. I feel American whiskey is ultimately too difficult to remain uber popular but for the man who made wine the massively popular drink it is today, to now endorse Bourbon and so strongly...pre Parker and post Parker are terms we may get to know well.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I feel American whiskey is ultimately too difficult to remain uber popular
    Thad, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you please elaborate?
    Insert TheNovaMan's signature here (___________)

Disciple

More madness and blind directed reviews towards the upper eschelon of the bourbon world..... it will effect us in no such way that I see as invasive,oh and when did Henry Rollins release his own label?
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Black Maple Flag.

Guru

...and Jello Biafra has a wine called "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Grapes"
    Insert TheNovaMan's signature here (___________)