Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Amusing, yet scary...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I completely agree, that's one of my favorites. To get back on topic, those notes are a complete joke and it's a testament to Parker's ego and how much everybody in the booze industry kisses his ass that those pathetic notes even got published.
    I'm suspicious as to whether or not he even tried some of them, if any. Maybe he had an "associate" throw that "information" together for him and he ran with it. Several pointed out the Rollin's Creek, but what about the wax topped Parker's Heritage? How could he have made these mistakes with the bottle right in front of him? This guy has no credibility with me. And yes, I too enjoyed Tim's take on the whole thing.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

I'm suspicious of any review that emphasizes the bottle design.

Disciple

Yes and we all know how worthless all those ego-driven bloggers are. The only blogs worth reading are the ones run by retailers.
    Well played, sir.

Advanced Taster

For me the line that shows Parker's lack of knowledge on Whiskey is this one "...to be sipped, savored and like all the top bourbons, never diluted or served on ice." I might be able to agree with the blanket advice about ice but never diluted? Really? So someone should drink 140.0 proof whiskey without adding even the smallest drops of water to open it up? That advice on bourbon is about as sound as this advice on wine - uncork a Petrus and swig it straight from the bottle. As with most things this too shall pass. I'll chalk it up to an off-day by someone who probably had a staff member or a colleague put together a tasting of bourbons. Parker is to wine sales as Oprah was to book sale, and if he really sets his sights on regularly reviewing Bourbons and other whiskies than be prepared for the continued price hikes and shortages of your favorites, whatever they are.

Guru

If he wants to push these sourced whisky brands fine with me, I don't buy 'em anyway.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Well played, sir.
    +1

padpadpadpadpadpad

Connoisseur

I am not too worried as the only thing on his list that I buy on his list on a regular basis is MM 46. I got out of the BTAC/PVW chase and I guess the Four Roses Limited Edition will involve a chase from now on, so scratch that also. As long as I can VOB/OGD/Weller 12 or Larceny and MM for a reasonable price I will be happy.

I hate wine, but most wine-only drinkers I know can't handle bourbon..so is this really a big worry??

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Well played, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    +1

padpadpadpadpadpad
    Thank you sirs. I was going to say something in the comments section of the K & L blog, but it doesn't exist.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

My wine drinking friends only have a casual interest in distilled spirits no matter what Parker or anyone else says.

Guru

To get back on topic, those notes are a complete joke and it's a testament to Parker's ego and how much everybody in the booze industry kisses his ass that those pathetic notes even got published.
    So are you saying he should have an "encyclopedic" knowledge of bourbon before offering his opinion.

That doesn't sound like you.