Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What rye did you purchase today - Spring/Summer 2013

The 16y 4R did sound a little suspicious. I would believe SB members info. Bottom line it's good Rye.

Advanced Taster

Picked up some Jefferson's 10 Year and Ritt BIB DSP-1 today. Looking forward to trying out both of these, especially a Ritt SBS tasting.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    Picked up some Jefferson's 10 Year and Ritt BIB DSP-1 today. Looking forward to trying out both of these, especially a Ritt SBS tasting.
    Think you will like the Jeff 10. If so grab a couple more since they are switching to LDI.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Think you will like the Jeff 10. If so grab a couple more since they are switching to LDI.
    Yeah, that's what prompted me to finally pick it up. It was a good price, so I'll have to open it soon and go back for his friends if I like it.

Guru

Thanks to the kindness of a couple of fellow SB'r, I was able to pick up a couple of these Rittenhouse 21 bottles:

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I saw these two and thought "those are exactly what I'd pick up at my store>'. Then I saw you were in VA and it made sense . I have to pick up a bottle of the Jeff 10 as well before it moves to LDI. I really enjoy Whistlepig and generally don't care for LDI ryes. Does anybody know when the switch is being made?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonfoot View Post
    I saw these two and thought "those are exactly what I'd pick up at my store>'. Then I saw you were in VA and it made sense . I have to pick up a bottle of the Jeff 10 as well before it moves to LDI. I really enjoy Whistlepig and generally don't care for LDI ryes. Does anybody know when the switch is being made?
    Unfortunately Jefferson/Castle Brands have never been particularly forthcoming about where their stock of sourced whiskey comes from. The current rye is "North American 100% rye" for example. Unless it is likely to be a good selling point like the SW stock in JPS 17/18. Then they were more than happy to share the source. So it seems unlikely we are going to get much info from them about when this change over will happen. It may have already happened.

A shame really because their products are generally pretty good. I have bought them in the past and will probably buy from them in the future despite my reservations but will be more likely to wait until I hear what others say about it first rather than take a chance and make a purchase without waiting as I do with others. I really wish they would be a bit more open about what they bottle.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Thanks to the kindness of a couple of fellow SB'r, I was able to pick up a couple of these Rittenhouse 21 bottles:
    Congrats on adding to your older rye stock! I know that is an interest of yours.

I wish a kindly SBer would point me to where I could buy a bottle or two (at a reasonable price!).
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

High West Rendezvous.
    LCBO just reduced it to a somewhat reasonable $71.25 (from $95)

Advanced Taster

Yes, this is what passes for a "sale" in Ontario.

I stocked up.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine