Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    34

    Ex-Pat in Germany

    Hi everyone! My name is Kurt and I've been working and living in Germany as a defense contractor for the past 10 years. After learning alot already about scotch whisky, I've gone back to my roots and re-discovered bourbon whiskey. I'm also a passionate cigar smoker. I look forward to learning from others and passing on any knowledge I can share with others in the forum.

    Cheers!

    Kurt

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    572

    Re: Ex-Pat in Germany

    Welcome Kurt.

    Good folk and good info around here.

    What are your favourite American whiskey pours?
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns
    They should sell Pappy by the gallon, everyone buys the whole shelf anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT
    I'm wearing a kilt right now...
    I feel like the fat Britney
    P_Elliots word of the day: odacity, coaqulate, preflent

  3. #3
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northville, MI
    Posts
    1,342

    Re: Ex-Pat in Germany

    Good Day Kurt-

    Welcome from Michigan.

    Best regards, Tony

  4. #4
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cologne/Germany
    Posts
    274

    Re: Ex-Pat in Germany

    Hello from Cologne!
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

  5. #5
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    34

    Re: Ex-Pat in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    Welcome Kurt.

    Good folk and good info around here.

    What are your favourite American whiskey pours?
    I like a bunch of them. But my "go to" whiskey's are Maker's Mark, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, and some Pappy when I can find it. Lately I've been enjoying Rowan's Creek.

    You're right. There is some good info here. I have been looking around the forum and noticed I have alot to learn. I look forward to getting to know more people on the forum.
    Sláinte!
    Kurt
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink.They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna feel all day." - Dean Martin

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,471

    Re: Ex-Pat in Germany

    Welcome aboard Kurt, look forward to your contributions.

  7. #7
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,772

    Re: Ex-Pat in Germany

    Hey Kurt, I am new to this forum as well. Just curious, how to you compare scotch to bourbon? Being from Indiana, I think bourbon is the natural whiskey for me. I am have tried scotch, mostly blends, but don't recall anything that stands out like bourbon.

  8. #8
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    34

    Re: Ex-Pat in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Hey Kurt, I am new to this forum as well. Just curious, how to you compare scotch to bourbon? Being from Indiana, I think bourbon is the natural whiskey for me. I am have tried scotch, mostly blends, but don't recall anything that stands out like bourbon.
    Hi mbroo,

    Simply put, in general, I find bourbon tastes sweeter than Scotch. Scotch and bourbon I find both taste great but it is the old comparison of apples and oranges. Both are great, just have their own taste.

    Scotch uses only water, yeast and barley. Whereas Bourbon uses more grains than scotch does. Bourbon is made from water, yeast and corn, barley, wheat and or rye. Bourbon ages in new charred oak barrels. Scotch ages mostly in the used charred bourbon oak barrels or sherry barrels. Some scotch distillers smoke their barley with peat to give it that peaty taste. Your Islay single malts also absorb the sea salt during there aging process.

    Many fascinating factors determine the taste of bourbon and scotch. But that is a whole other thread. There are some fantastic scotches and bourbons that really stand out for me. It's all a matter of each and everyone of our own personal taste buds. Drink what you love I always say.
    Sláinte!
    Kurt
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink.They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna feel all day." - Dean Martin

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    572

    Re: Ex-Pat in Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowhiskey View Post
    I like a bunch of them. But my "go to" whiskey's are Maker's Mark, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, and some Pappy when I can find it. Lately I've been enjoying Rowan's Creek.

    You're right. There is some good info here. I have been looking around the forum and noticed I have alot to learn. I look forward to getting to know more people on the forum.
    Some solid pours there Kurt. I have only had Rowan's Creek once and I found it very enjoyable. Do you get the age stated version?
    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns
    They should sell Pappy by the gallon, everyone buys the whole shelf anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT
    I'm wearing a kilt right now...
    I feel like the fat Britney
    P_Elliots word of the day: odacity, coaqulate, preflent

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Hello from Cologne, Germany
    By stiffchainey in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 14:45
  2. Hallo from Germany
    By Makopa in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 20:00
  3. Hello from Germany
    By Huegeb in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 01:52
  4. First Beers In Germany
    By Gillman in forum Non-Whiskey Alcohol
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 14:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top