Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Finishing and the future of bourbon.

Last night I was thinking after having a couple tastes of some historical bourbon (AH Hirsch 16 and Ten High Ten) about what holds for us in the future. Thanks to places like this forum those of us who are enthusiasts can debunk products which are all the same mashbill. My theory is now with the success of products like Angel Envy and New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon that the special finishing is here to stay and will only expand. By taking two MGPI bourbons of the same age, finish them in wine, port, Madeira rum, maybe an islay scotch barrel... you have just created a new product..... People new to the bourbon category will develop tastes for just those products. Where will the raw natural bourbon land? Will there be less differentiation in mashbills? Will bourbon go the way of single malt scotch in the next two decades? More interesting to me is emerging markets like China and India whose purchasing power and tastes for 1st world products increase. Exports of bourbon will have to go up and so will prices.
    Micro distilling is bringing new people to whiskey and with it these people have a preference for young small barrel juice. You and I may say great but the big boys do not ignore what the little guys do. Two years after craft distilling exploded in my market we see white spirits from Beam, Jack, Heaven Hill. Angels Envy has been on the market for a while and now this August Beam will be releasing a spanish brandy finished bourbon (?) Bourbon is a product of tradition but it seems with all the ivy league minds in the marketing departments a lot of the tradition could be thrown out the window.
    Personally I hope these new products all just distract the people buying up the 15 yr old + wheated bourbons that I have developed a preference for. And I pray some marketing director at Beam global is forcing MM to put some barrels away to be released at 10+ years because their golfing buddies demand it.

Thoughts? Discussion?
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Guru

Re: Finishing and the future of bourbon.

Finishing isn't new and has in fact been around for so long as what we think of as Bourbon has been barreled. I believe the current trend toward finished whiskys is more a reflection on the market than it is on traditional Bourbon making. The whisky business will supply consumers with what they want be it Straight Bourbon or one of the evolving finished styles. Whether for good or ill it's here, shows every sign of increasing, and why not? Got to admit, finishing adds a dimension otherwise unobtainable and opens the door for further experimentation.

Connoisseur

They've been doing this with scotch in sherry barrels for many years. Why not do it with bourbon?
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Because the flavor of Scotch needs to be covered up?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Because the flavor of Scotch needs to be covered up?
    Well, it does sweeten it up a bit. I find bourbons to be much sweeter than most scotches, and that may be why bourbon is more popular here in the US.

Maybe our palates are more attuned to sweetness.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Actually I was thinking of the smoky peat element which requires the sweetness of sherry as a counterbalance. Otherwise the taste would be single dimensional suitable only to be used as a flavoring whisky in blends.

Guru

I believe Bourbon, Canadian and blended whiskys are more popular than Scotch in the US simply because they are cheaper. As for American whisky being sweeter why is that? Corn? Aren't most Scotch blends 60-70% grain whisky make from corn?

Guru

Veering back on topic I believe Canadian whisky still outsells Bourbon by a small margin in the US, or at least they are close in total sale volume. Canadian law allows a tiny amount of flavoring wine in their whisky blends (not all do, but they can) so I should think that American consumers have already demonstrated they like whiskys so made.

Guru

I think finishing will be here for a while if not to stay, although I don't think it will dominate traditional bourbon. As new brands/options come out, inevitably some will go bye-bye. Look at ORVW 90. Maybe you'll see AAA 10 yr disappear in favor or just 10 star? Prices will go up in some cases to keep the brand alive but to curb demand. With there being several years lead time in the whole production/aging process, finishing allows a new "brand" to be developed fairly late in the process - so I expect to see more because it is something that CAN be done to respond quickly to market demand.

On the Scotch point - I didn't think hardly any Scotch was made from corn (although I'm far from an expert on the topic). I thought it was mostly barley, rye or wheat.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Yes, Scotch grain whisky (the predominate part of any blend) can be made from any grain and when corn is cheap that's what's used.