Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Drinking Orders:

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I start with the lower proof bourbons first then move up in proof then move on to the rye whiskies.
    I second Paul's approach - I work up in proof and spiciness if I'm doing a studied tasting. If I'm just relaxing at home - I tend not to vary much in a sitting and don't think too much about the order.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I am pretty much with Josh on this and tend to stay within the same mashbill/style in an evening.I think of you stay within these parameters you won't be disappointed in a night's tasting progression,really keeps things on even ground IMHO.
    Very similar to you guys, if it's a bourbon night, rye night or scotch night....at time where i've mixed styles in the same evening, seem to lose the small differences and appreciate it less.

Connoisseur

I tend to like family themes: Different vintages of EWSB; Beam family or Sazerac family; a flight of ryes. Looking for family resemblances and differences between iterations. More often though, I find the ideal follow up to AAA is more AAA. Ditto VOB and OWA.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

The best way to savor Old Grand Dad on the rocks is with another just like it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The best way to savor Old Grand Dad on the rocks is with another just like it.
    Or close enough to be just a little different. A family progression might be Basil Hayden to OGD BIB to OGD 114. I think I would enjoy the BH more at a higher proof. But, wait, that's what the OGD is for. And at lower prices.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

My process is quite simple: I generally start with bourbon, then drink more bourbon, and end with........ bourbon! Sometimes I have rye or corn whiskey, but the vast majority of the time it's bourbon.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Virtuoso

The only rules I follow regularly are lower to higher proof and leave the ryes for last. Otherwise, it's whatever fits my mood. If I have a free evening I might have some fun comparing bottles from one distillery or with similar mash bills, different years, etc. I think the only universal rule is to have fun with it, whatever you're doing.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Advanced Taster

No set order - it all depends on my mood. Some nights I'm in the mood for a sherried single malt like the Aberlour A'bunadh, other nights I feel spicy so I reach for a rye - like a baby Saz or a Willet 4-yr. My only "rules" are to gauge my palate before I have another to see if I'll appreciate something and if it's worth pouring or if it will be wasted. For example after a heavily peated whisky - I'll generally stay in the same ball park or stop for the night. If I've had a barrel proof bourbon I might follow it up with another high proof bourbon - although I always add a bit of water when the ABV gets up there. Last night felt like a OFBiB night (big spender I know), then I had a small dram of Baby Saz and finished up with an even smaller dram of Smokehead. Tonight after working in the yard with the warm weather will probably be a gin I just got - Berkshire Mountain Ethereal Barrel-Aged Gin - amazing stuff. I have it on the rocks with a splash of soda. Tons of peppery goodness.

Guru

On the nights I feel spicy I don't reach for a bottle.

Don't change it up much each night as if it looks good for the first pour it certainly looks better on the second pour.