Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

120 proof. Looks interesting... my local shop just got some in.

What is your opinion? Yay, or Nay?
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Disciple

Re: Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

Basically it all falls back on the fact if you enjoy the traditional Beam profile.I myself am not a huge Beam fan but still enjoy the KCSB,but be forewarned that all barrels will differ slightly,if you like Booker's you will enjoy it especially@$10 less.I have found the profiles to be very similar in the ones I've had in the past,but some have been over hot and dry versus others also.I would take Bakers any day over the KCSB for the same money and is still my favorite in the Beam's stable.I find the Bakers to be the most balanced,nuanced of the Small Batch offerings if you haven't tried it don't right it off so soon and give it a whirl.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

I would also pick Bakers over Knob but since you haven't experienced Knob SB and it costs considerably less than a comparable single malt then go for it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Basically it all falls back on the fact if you enjoy the traditional Beam profile.I myself am not a huge Beam fan but still enjoy the KCSB,but be forewarned that all barrels will differ slightly,if you like Booker's you will enjoy it especially@$10 less.I have found the profiles to be very similar in the ones I've had in the past,but some have been over hot and dry versus others also.I would take Bakers any day over the KCSB for the same money and is still my favorite in the Beam's stable.I find the Bakers to be the most balanced,nuanced of the Small Batch offerings if you haven't tried it don't right it off so soon and give it a whirl.
    I'd like to second that point about barrel variation. I've bought several KCSB - I don't like the Beam profile but for some reason enjoy KC - and while some have been delicious, the last one I got was, like Wainwright described, hot and dry, and mighty unpleasant. I think that going with retail selections is a safe bet.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I find the Bakers to be the most balanced,nuanced of the Small Batch offerings.
    Mark this down as another instance of our tastes aligning. Baker's is my favorite Beam offering, but I also really enjoy Booker's and KC/KCSB. Definitely give any of these a try if you're inclined, Alden.

Guru

Hmm . . . came to a KCSB forum only to learn that I need to try Bakers I'm a fan of Bookers, and have also enjoyed a KCSB, but not sure I've ever tried Bakers for whatever reason. Actually . . . I think I did try Bakers at the distillery, but the tasting mist they provide wasn't sufficient to form a real opinion
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

A friend from another forum just advised me to get the regular KC instead of the SB version.

He said he likes it better.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

While I always appreciate first hand opinions I do my own tasting.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    While I always appreciate first hand opinions I do my own tasting.
    I would buy both if I had the wallet for it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    I would buy both if I had the wallet for it.
    I bought a bottle of KCSB when it came out and thought it was decent, but when I did a side by side with a mini of KC - I thought the difference didn't merit the extra coin. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the KCSB in 50 ml - but you can get KC in that size. I'd try to find that and see what you think. If you like higher proof, I thought the KCSB was just a bit higher proof KC. Again - not bad, but I didn't think it was worth the premium over KC.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins