Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    I gotta tell ya Jon that I think most beam products have what I call a funky yeast taste......but I'm willing and looking forward to trying your KC picks. I'll be sure to pick some up this winter when I come over to Tallahassee.
    Joe
    Thanks, Joe. I actually believe that folks who talk about the funky taste in Beam are actually tasting it. It goes back to the fact that some people are able to taste a lot more than others (me). I'm kinda glad I can't pick up all of those nuances. But the good news is .. that when you get over here .. you can drink all you want from my bottle with no investment!
    Jon

Guru

Ok, let me fuel up the Jeep.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Ok, let me fuel up the Jeep.
    Come on down, Squire ... three of us have jeeps ... you'll be right at home!
    Jon

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    TComp, you've been quite open about the Binny's KCSB picks. Do you still have a clear favorite? In general, do you think the picks are pretty good, better than the off-the-shelf stuff? Personally, I liked the TPS picks much better than the random bottles I've purchased, but I haven't tried any others.
    No favorite on the three SB reserves I've bought. All from Binny's, all different barrels and all real good picks. I've turned into a bad scientist with regards to drinking whiskey now with no kept notes, logs or spread sheets other than what I post. The Beam funk (for me an off peanut oil taste) does make even KC something that I don't drink all the time or for the length of an evening but the Binny's SBs have less. KC is also our preferred whiskey for the bride's once a week Old Fashioned or my Manhattan...which reminds me I need to purchase another as I have been out for about a month...with Barton or Ritt pinch hitting .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

Call me weird, but KC is one of my very top favorites. Not sure why it doesn't get more love here, but oh well.

Back on topic; I recently polished off a KC:SB and enjoyed it, but I prefer the standard version.

Guru

It does and it doesn't JP, it's a solid product that I think gets a bit overlooked because it's on the shelf everyday at a good price so there's no sense of urgency to grab one when you see it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    It does and it doesn't JP, it's a solid product that I think gets a bit overlooked because it's on the shelf everyday at a good price so there's no sense of urgency to grab one when you see it.
    Good point -- I almost added "Maybe it would be more popular if it had an 'LE' at the end of the name, or was only available seasonally at gift-shops in KY."

Enthusiast

Mark me down on the 'yea' side. I like the regular KC and have really liked both bottles of the KCSB I've had. It's a little more expensive, but by the time I add water the cost ends up being about the same. The bottles I've had have been a step up from regular KC IMO.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by IowaJeff View Post
    Mark me down on the 'yea' side. I like the regular KC and have really liked both bottles of the KCSB I've had. It's a little more expensive, but by the time I add water the cost ends up being about the same. The bottles I've had have been a step up from regular KC IMO.
    I take my KCSB neat--but in small quantities. I like the concentrated flavor profile but a little goes a long way. By analogy, I like cherry cheesecake but can't eat more than a small slice because it is too rich. (And never mind what it has already done to what used to be a waistline.) Regular KC, on the other hand, can be consumed in massive quantities.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    I take my KCSB neat--but in small quantities. I like the concentrated flavor profile but a little goes a long way. By analogy, I like cherry cheesecake but can't eat more than a small slice because it is too rich. (And never mind what it has already done to what used to be a waistline.) Regular KC, on the other hand, can be consumed in massive quantities.
    I'll usually take one small sip before adding water and do enjoy the concentrated flavor, but I lose that flavor if I drink more without water. Could just be a lack of discipline on my part (not being able to drink in small sips slowly). I can, however, eat massive quantities of cherry cheesecake.