Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

Those 50 mil bottles are a good idea, I remember when Rare Breed first came out they included a 50 mil as a gift when you bought a 750 bottle.

Connoisseur

Im not a huge fan of super high proof. Wild turkey 101 is just about perfect to me. I think the regular KC is 100 proof, right.

I have a feeling that my be better for my taste buds.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Yes, 9 years and 100 proof, just about an ideal combination.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Im not a huge fan of super high proof. Wild turkey 101 is just about perfect to me. I think the regular KC is 100 proof, right.

I have a feeling that my be better for my taste buds.
    I personally much prefer the KC single barrel reserve at least the ones that have been picked by Binny's. As to cost I'm still adding water to bring the 120 proof down to 100 proof so close to the same price. Here's a blog post by Chuck Cowdery in 2011 on why single barrel is often better.

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/201...ons-heres.html
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Those 50 mil bottles are a good idea, I remember when Rare Breed first came out they included a 50 mil as a gift when you bought a 750 bottle.
    I've got a 50 mL of Rare Breed. I love that size, as it provides enough for 2 or 3 tastings if I'm undecided (or if I like it, but don't see myself drinking it often enough to want a 750).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

Recently did a head-to-head of KCSB and Bookers. Bookers has been one of the better pours I've ever tried, and I just recently picked up a KCSB. These are similar, but I think the Bookers is a bit more refined and better integrated. I also found the KCSB a bit hot, which is interesting since it is lesser proof than the Bookers. I think Bookers is worth the extra $$$.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I personally much prefer the KC single barrel reserve at least the ones that have been picked by Binny's. As to cost I'm still adding water to bring the 120 proof down to 100 proof so close to the same price. Here's a blog post by Chuck Cowdery in 2011 on why single barrel is often better.

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/201...ons-heres.html

TComp, you've been quite open about the Binny's KCSB picks. Do you still have a clear favorite? In general, do you think the picks are pretty good, better than the off-the-shelf stuff? Personally, I liked the TPS picks much better than the random bottles I've purchased, but I haven't tried any others.

Enthusiast

Our Tallahassee Barrel Team picks for Market Square Liquors along with the owner and one or two of their top employees. I have been with them on picks in April of 2012 and also this past April. When we arrive they have selected 9 barrels for us to choose from. Each time we have found outstanding barrels - two last year and four this year. These barrels are most certainly superior offerings as our team of 8 or 9 experienced tasters are in unanimous agreement. Of course if you then take the six we have picked and line them up in a blind tasting - essentially what we do when we pick them - you will rank them. So, sure, some single barrels are better than others .. but ALL are outstanding. Customers confirm our picks and they move off the shelves pretty quick.

It makes sense that the TPS or Binny's picks would also be outstanding. Beam has some mighty good KC aging in those warehouses and I'm glad they offer us the single barrel shelf 120 proof juice and thrilled that they allow private selections. If you're not in the everything-Beam-has-some-alien-taste camp - (I'm not), then you'll probably be happy with any of your choices.
    Jon

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    If you're not in the everything-Beam-has-some-alien-taste camp - (I'm not), then you'll probably be happy with any of your choices.
    I gotta tell ya Jon that I think most beam products have what I call a funky yeast taste......but I'm willing and looking forward to trying your KC picks. I'll be sure to pick some up this winter when I come over to Tallahassee.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

I had a bottle of it in 2011 and I loved it. Much better than the regular KC in my opinion. Yes, its the same basic profile as the regular, but the SB ticks all the boxes, rings all the bells, fires on all cylinders gives you a better bang for your buck. I've got another bottle in the bunker, looking forward to opening that one.
    Last edited by Lazer; 05-12-2013 at 19:54.