Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Bourbon around the world

I'm in Australia and bourbon is pretty popular here. In saying so, I was wondering which countries outside of the USA really have a hankering for it. I assume Canada would be number one. Which European countries are the best markets?

Disciple

Bourbon around the world

Quote Originally Posted by deathevocation View Post
    I'm in Australia and bourbon is pretty popular here. In saying so, I was wondering which countries outside of the USA really have a hankering for it. I assume Canada would be number one. Which European countries are the best markets?
    Don't forget Japan.
    Jim

Guru

Re: Bourbon around the world

All over the World actually, Bourbon is spoken universally.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Don't forget Japan.
    On my last two visits to BT, there were pallets of Pappy and Blanton's being prepped for Japan. My wife was invited to sit on the bottling line and stick on labels printed in Japanese. They get not only a lot of bourbon but a lot of the best bourbon. Makes me wonder if, on a per capita basis, the Japanese might have even better access to Pappy than we do. One hundred percent of all the Pappy I have ever laid eyes on was at the distillery.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

The Asian market is serious money for high end whiskey. With Hong Kong and Singapore topping the list. Check out the link below. And if you use the "translate" function of your web browser the description is most interesting. Makes one stop to wonder what's in that bottle....................... and is HH hiring.........???????

http://www.hengjo.com.tw/products_detail.php?id=BO18-750-1

"You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Quote Originally Posted by Meruck View Post
    The Asian market is serious money for high end whiskey. With Hong Kong and Singapore topping the list. Check out the link below. And if you use the "translate" function of your web browser the description is most interesting. Makes one stop to wonder what's in that bottle....................... and is HH hiring.........???????

http://www.hengjo.com.tw/products_detail.php?id=BO18-750-1

I hope that bottle is 5000 yuan (a little over $800) cause that's way better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    They get not only a lot of bourbon but a lot of the best bourbon. Makes me wonder if, on a per capita basis, the Japanese might have even better access to Pappy than we do. One hundred percent of all the Pappy I have ever laid eyes on was at the distillery.
    Van Winkle is still difficult to get in Japan and way more expensive than the US. Because of the thirst for extra-aged/premium bourbon in Japan, there are (or at least have been) a lot of unique, older, age-stated labels over there, but I have found them to be very hit or miss. I'm convinced that some distilleries dump over-wooded whiskey that wouldn't sell in the US on Japan.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    I hope that bottle is 5000 yuan (a little over $800) cause that's way better than the alternative.
    $800 may as well be $5k. Did you "translate" the page......its worth it.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Virtuoso

Thinking it's Taiwan based on the address of the store. If my math serves $170 or so.