Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Angel's Envy Cask Strength

Ok, you guys have helped me out before, so I'm looking for advice again. I am in a bit of quandary at the moment; I have the opportunity to purchase a bottle of this juice, for about $180. It's a whopping amount of $ for a bottle of booze, but I know this is no ordinary bottle of booze! Who knows when I might get this chance again...? But still, $180 is alot of coin. I have read nothing but wonderful reviews (the few I have been able to find), and it is indeed a rare gem. I also happen to be a fan of their "regular" bourbon, hell, even their rye. But does one plunk down the cash for something like this when there are so many other greats out there, for quite a bit less. And is it really ​that good to warrant such a high price tag?? I don't know. You only live once, they say. Someone help me decide. Please........

Guru

Re: Angel's Envy Cask Strength

If you really like their stuff, and don't mind that kind of cost, go for it. It's probably not something you're going to regularly see.

To me, that's waaay too much money for any bottle, plus the fact that I have tried and disliked their regular stuff and REALLY didn't care for the rye, means you wont have any competition from me.

Connoisseur

I tend to think that if you're struggling this much with the decision/cost, you shouldn't do it.

Connoisseur

As for what my own personal decision would be - I'd pass. I like AE well enough but $180 is 4.5x the price of the regular release... seems disproportionate to most other barrel proof offerings relative to their non barrel proof counterparts. At $60-$70 I'd be tempted to try the AE Cask Strength but certainly not $180.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller View Post
    Ok, you guys have helped me out before, so I'm looking for advice again. I am in a bit of quandary at the moment; I have the opportunity to purchase a bottle of this juice, for about $180. It's a whopping amount of $ for a bottle of booze, but I know this is no ordinary bottle of booze! Who knows when I might get this chance again...? But still, $180 is alot of coin. I have read nothing but wonderful reviews (the few I have been able to find), and it is indeed a rare gem. I also happen to be a fan of their "regular" bourbon, hell, even their rye. But does one plunk down the cash for something like this when there are so many other greats out there, for quite a bit less. And is it really ​that good to warrant such a high price tag?? I don't know. You only live once, they say. Someone help me decide. Please........
    The original batch or the new batch that is starting to come out? As someone who has had a lot of the first batch and loved it I would be a buyer. The port finish is at a completely different level than the regular finished bourbon.

The new batch reportedly has another year of port finish on it (basically some of the first batch that was allowed to age a while longer and not a whole new batch) and I would definitely buy it if I had the opportunity. $180 is a lot to spend but it is a pretty limited offering and if it is anything like the first batch then for me it is worth the cost to see how it has progressed. Presuming of course it fits in your budget.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Yeah, so far I'm having a hard time talking myself into it. I saw, after I started this post, there was a whole thread about this almost exactly a year ago, and I didn't read anything mindblowing from anyone saying this is a must-have...... Would love to try it, but damn, that is an expensive gamble! All due respect to the Henderson's of course. And nothing has been said about the dinner gala that was offered in last year's, not that I could make it anyway. I sure like their other products, though. Mighty tasty to me.

Connoisseur

I tried the first release at a tasting with some fellow SB members around last Christmas. I found the first release to be a very tasty pour and it really made me appreciate the work the AE folks are doing. Enough so to go back and revisit the standard offerings. That being said, I came across a bottle of the 1st offering in KY a few months later and still left it on the shelf (around $240 if I recall).

I did pass on AE rye in my travels through KY and after having visited that a few times, I wish I would have grabbed 2 or 3 bottles just for the uniqueness of the pour.

Guru

Painkiller, when I've been faced with similar choices in the past the question I had to answer was, is it worth it to me. Some years ago when Beam came out with their Distillers Masterpiece 20 year old Port finished expression I paid $225 for a bottle to celebrate a friend's 80th birthday. I subsequently determined that wine cask finished Bourbon wasn't my cup of tea but the friends and company I shared it with were worth every penny.

Intrinsically I don't think any whisky made by anybody anywhere anytime is worth $100 a bottle, yet I've paid more a number of times for something that was a limited or one off that was worth the price to me at the time.

So, yeah, we only go around once. Having made a complete journey I find myself essentially back where I started and rarely even consider paying more than $25 for a bottle of Bourbon. I know what I like and having outlived most of my friends am just glad I can still enjoy those in that price range.

Having said that when some of these hand made Micro products come to market in a few years I may well be tempted.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Well put squire. 'Tis not the money, it's the memories. Unfortunately, none of my compadres drink bourbon, so, much like George Thorogood, I would be drinking alone. Am I worth my own company? That's the question.

This release clearly appeals to you. This would be something you could really savor. If the admittedly exorbitant $180 wouldn't cause too much collateral damage, in fact if you could look yourself in the mirror and accept the unlikely-but-real possibility of blowing $180, then I say go for it based on an observation I've found to be true repeatedly in life...

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.