Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Jim Beam Signature Craft 12 Year and Rare Spanish Brandy

yeah number ratings are complete BS. We used to have star ratings but those aren't much better. Ultimately I see my job as giving readers as much info as I can about the spirit, my thoughts about it and the context for the release. But I know we can always do better, so I'm always open and interested in feedback and/or letting us know when we say something dumbass or miss the mark (it does happen).
    Geoff Kleinman, Editor - Drink Spirits

Enthusiast

Thanks for the follow up RE Knob Creek comparisons. Sounds like the 12 is more of an extension of JB Black rather than Knob Creek. I'll probably give it a try if I see it around here. I don't know about the brandy one. I'll see if I can procure a taste of that before I shell out any $$ for it.

I'm not sure why more folks aren't talking about these. I'm sipping both now, and enjoying them.

I pulled out an 8 yo black label distilled about the same time as the 12 yo. Color near identical. 12 yo had little more nose. 12 yo was like the 8 yo but more depth, more richness, longer stronger aftertaste. It's not like the makers vs makers 46 where ya just about need to sip side-by-side to notice difference. I wish Beam would do more with age, perhaps I could get more excited by Beam products if they did. I'd love to try this in a 16 yo barrel proof! Makes me wonder if an 18 yo would develop more interesting complexity like ya find with other older whiskey/whisky and which is generally lacking in Beam products.

The Brandy Craft is an interesting attempt at complexity. I know it's more likely marketing ploy rather than real attempt to produce great product, but it is an interesting attempt at something unique that a whiskey drinker might like, rather than adding cherry or maple or some such nonsense.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    I'm not sure why more folks aren't talking about these.
    Price and proof.

The standard 12 is pretty good though for a lighter whiskey.

I'm not a Beam fan, so it's a moot point to me. But people pay 3x for ER17 when it's only a little more than half again the age of ER10. Whereas this is only $10 or $15 more for half again more age than black label.

Enthusiast

I never drink Jim Beam but I did get both of these, it's worth it, something different

Enthusiast

I bought a bottle of the 12 because I enjoy the black. Really good stuff. Nice nose, super sweet, and very easy to drink. It is quite pricey for what it is though. If it says signature craft on the label they could at least offer it at 92 proof (a nice progression from the white and black) and non-chill filter it. Ah, well. Won't buy another but I won't say I didn't enjoy it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by IowaJeff View Post
    On the screw top issue: I'm split. The pragmatic side of me knows that a screw top is superior to a cork in every way. But my romantic side really likes popping the cork off when I open a bottle; and corks generally look cooler, and I haven't had any problems with them.
    That's pretty much my experience. Have opened hundreds of bottles and never had a problem with cork. I am one lucky bourbon drinker.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Can't wait for this stuff to hit our shores here in Australia. It sounds like it would be right on the money for my taste preferences.

Guru

I found the 12 yo to be thin and insipid. I had flashbacks of being an adolescent and sneaking a sip of a "grown-up" drink: a blended whiskey mixed with water.

Pass.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."