Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

is there any correlation to liking high proof AND liking very hot/spicy food?

was wondering if there's any correlation. I love spicy food, the hotter the better. Im new to bourbons, and basically new to alcohol anyway. Yet, I don't care for much of anything lower than 100 proof, and find that I like the 120+ proofers. Is this unusual, or not? Seems to be a realistic assumption that if I love the hotness of foods in my mouth that i may prefer "hot" whiskeys over the standard ones.

any inputs?

Guru

I like spicy foods.

I like barrel proof / cask strength whiskies.

I like hot women.

=]b
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Re: is there any correlation to liking high proof AND liking very hot/spicy food?

I like a hot woman preparing hot food and don't care how she drinks her booze.

Guru

Re: is there any correlation to liking high proof AND liking very hot/spicy food?

I like spicy food. I buy a lot of high proof whiskey but I don't drink it at high proof. Anything over 100 proof burns out my palate, although there are a few exceptions to this. I don't think there's much of a correlation.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

The experiences are completely different for me. The heat and endorphin rush from a hot, spicy food is nothing like the palate-flooding experience I get from a high-proof whiskey. If the whiskey has too much astringency and alcohol burn it detracts from the experience whereas heat tends to add to a food experience, provided it accompanies good flavor. There's no correlation for me.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Disciple

I have made this connection before and I agree with you. I think it's a bit more personal than an across the board statement.

Guru

It might just be a case where people who like spicy foods and/or extreme flavors enjoy a lot of sensory input. This type of personal preference lends itself naturally to enjoyment of high-proof alcohol.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    It might just be a case where people who like spicy foods and/or extreme flavors enjoy a lot of sensory input. This type of personal preference lends itself naturally to enjoyment of high-proof alcohol.
    that may be better put than the way I worded it. whereas I enjoy the kick-in-the mouth bite of say, booker's, anything below 90 proof is too watered-down for me. I like the "bite" of the higher proof stuff. Since im new to bourbons, most people find it odd that i dislike the "normal" proofers and want the high proof stuff, as its the opposite of how most people start off

Connoisseur

Here's my 2-cents worth. As far as spicy foods: I'm not at all a fan! But;.... when it comes to barrel proof Bourbons, I've never found one I DIDN'T like, so from that, draw whatever conclusion you will. I don't slurp the high proof offerings; but rather gently sip a few times before adding some water.... usually, though sometimes I'll make a small pour last an hour without any water, depends upon my mood and how much time is available to savor the pour.

Guru

Ok, ok, horses for courses and all that, I suggest we can all agree the Barrel Proof Bourbon should be served by a Hot Woman.