Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Should I Try Next?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowes View Post
    The only other Rye I had tasted before this Rittenhouse and I really enjoyed it.
    If you enjoyed Ritt (DSP KY 354) you might want to grab a few extra bottles to have
    on hand before the DSP-1 hits the shelves. Not to say the DSP-1 will be bad but if
    something you like is soon to be replaced by an "unknown", why take a chance. At
    the very least you have some DSP 354 that you know you like and if DSP-1 is a
    winner, that's an added bonus (plus you can do blind side by side tastings to see
    which you really prefer.)
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

Now that I know what to look for, there really are an incredible number of ryes on the market right now. Personally, I like rye as an alternative to bourbon, but I only have a few around. I have an unopened 110pf 4yr Willett, Rittenhouse (with a few DSP 354 bunkered), a few Baby Sazerac, and one of the holy grails, VWFRR.

The Rittenhouse is a terrific whiskey, but I find the Sazerac easier drinking. Frankly, the Baby Saz is dangerously easy to drink, and just great imho. Jefferson's, Russell's Reserve, Smooth Ambler and Knob Creek ryes are a few others to consider. Enjoy the journey.

Disciple

I might try Jefferson's 10 yr Rye. I'm also a fan of the younger Willett ryes myself, and really liked the Jeffersons.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I might try Jefferson's 10 yr Rye. I'm also a fan of the younger Willett ryes myself, and really liked the Jeffersons.
    Thanks for the tip on Jeffersons. Another to try and find.

Guru

Jefferson would be a change of pace as it's rye whisky is sourced from Canada and made from a different mashbill than MGPI.

Disciple

I would agree with the Jeffersons and if you can find it go for the UCF'd bottling some of those still floating around.I did a side by side not long ago really adds to the total package IMHO,the finish the feel all of it.I figured you wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference with a 100% rye of this sort and really you can.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I would agree with the Jeffersons and if you can find it go for the UCF'd bottling some of those still floating around.I did a side by side not long ago really adds to the total package IMHO,the finish the feel all of it.I figured you wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference with a 100% rye of this sort and really you can.
    Ok, I have to claim rookie ignorance here... UCF'd?

Enthusiast

The Jeff is Canadian enzymatic distillate. (100% rye) I tend to stear away from things aged in Canada aswell as enzymatic distillate, you need the malted barley even at the meager 5% to be the chaperones to the yeasty dance.

Willets LDI/ MGPI 95 /5 tastes awesome because its 110 proof, and the flora and fauna of aging whiskey at willet makes beverages taste better IMHO.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Guru

Flora and Fauna sounds like elves and wood sprites.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Crowes View Post
    Ok, I have to claim rookie ignorance here... UCF'd?
    Unchillfiltered,they will have a small black label on the bottle denoting this.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski