Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: What Should I Try Next?

I prefer the term non chill filtered though the terms seem to be used interchangeably.

Connoisseur

Unfortunately, there are not as many ryes on the market as one might assume on first glance; a lot of the stuff is similar MGP and Alberta in different packaging.

I agree with Squire and would suggest picking up some Wild Turkey Rye 101 before it disappears. Also grab some current Rittenhouse before the DSP-1 hits the market. Then track down a Buffalo Trace offering in Sazerac, this one will really be a contrast to the Willett mash bill.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Unfortunately, there are not as many ryes on the market as one might assume on first glance; a lot of the stuff is similar MGP and Alberta in different packaging.

I agree with Squire and would suggest picking up some Wild Turkey Rye 101 before it disappears. Also grab some current Rittenhouse before the DSP-1 hits the market. Then track down a Buffalo Trace offering in Sazerac, this one will really be a contrast to the Willett mash bill.
    Yeah, Rittenhouse is tricky to find in Michigan. I found a place by my office today that has three bottles. I asked the manager if he had heard anything about them becoming more scarce and he said they only ever get in an allocation of 6 bottles at a time. Think I'll go back tomorrow and grab all three just in case. Actually, that whole purchasing plan of Ritt, WT, and Sazerac seems to be a perfect start. Thank you all for the great insight.

Funny, last minute I decided to take a road trip KY for the first time to visit the trail last week. Didn't realize I missed the sampler by a few weeks. Hopefully next time.
    Last edited by Crowes; 05-15-2013 at 19:46.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by brettckeen View Post
    The Jeff is Canadian enzymatic distillate. (100% rye) I tend to stear away from things aged in Canada aswell as enzymatic distillate, you need the malted barley even at the meager 5% to be the chaperones to the yeasty dance.

Willets LDI/ MGPI 95 /5 tastes awesome because its 110 proof, and the flora and fauna of aging whiskey at willet makes beverages taste better IMHO.
    Well, there. That splains it.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Crowes View Post
    Actually, that whole purchasing plan of Ritt, WT, and Sazerac seems to be a perfect start. Thank you all for the great insight.
    Glad we could help. When you have tasted them and figured out your own likes and dislikes, let us know and we can steer you toward some more ryes. Also, make sure the Wild Turkey is the 101, the 81 will make you want to give up drinking.

Guru

The 81 means drinking more and enjoying it less.

Disciple

it's so bad it will be on the shelves for years

Guru

Oh the label will sell it eventually . . . or a holiday special.