Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    523

    Scotch from 1981

    Random question, I was thinking recently it might be fun to look for a birth year bottle and given that my wife and I were both born in 1981 this makes the choice year easier. That being said, how would I best go about looking for a fun bottle from that year? As my wife and I are getting older now the bottles won't be cheap, but they should still be manageable, if just barely. Obviously random stores are unlikely to have something this specific so I'm curious where you guys would look for something of this nature.

    I don't have specifics, it really could be any scotch as long as it's something decent and not way over priced. I've seen Caperodnichs, Glenlivets, and MacDuffs in the rough age range but nothing that specific.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    5,973

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Random question, I was thinking recently it might be fun to look for a birth year bottle and given that my wife and I were both born in 1981 this makes the choice year easier. That being said, how would I best go about looking for a fun bottle from that year? As my wife and I are getting older now the bottles won't be cheap, but they should still be manageable, if just barely. Obviously random stores are unlikely to have something this specific so I'm curious where you guys would look for something of this nature.

    I don't have specifics, it really could be any scotch as long as it's something decent and not way over priced. I've seen Caperodnichs, Glenlivets, and MacDuffs in the rough age range but nothing that specific.

    Thanks!
    What a nice idea! I'm guessing that you can find some of the Old Grand Dad BIB's from that time, that are dated 1981. Probably, several others, too. OGD's from that era seem plentiful, though.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  3. #3

    Scotch from 1981

    Macallan 18's!! Will keep my eyes peeled for you!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,824

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Yes, you have a shot at finding a BIB (Grand Dad is the most prevalent) but I don't recall Scotch malts or blends from that time carrying any sort of identifying date. I would check with the guys over on the Scotch boards to see if they have any clues.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,261

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Not scotch strictly speaking but there's some decent Karuizawa 1981's out there.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  6. #6
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,076

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    I am Homer with my head tilted back and spittle drooping out of the side of my mouth, "Auuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh...."

    http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-16375.aspx

    It probably wouldn't be my first Family Casks choice, but when I think of vintage malt I think of Glenfarclas. But that's just me.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

  7. #7
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    490

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I don't have specifics, it really could be any scotch as long as it's something decent and not way over priced. I've seen Caperodnichs, Glenlivets, and MacDuffs in the rough age range but nothing that specific.
    Thanks!
    You're looking for ~30 year old Scotch. That won't be cheap. A cool idea is a range from Glenfarclas. They have bottled vintage casks from every year from 1953-1994
    This one would fit the bill.

    If you would rather get something younger (i.e. a dusty) your best bet will be at auction.

    For cheaper alternatives to single malts, you may look for single grains - these tend to be less expensive.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    523

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Thanks for all the info guys! I had not even considered looking for a dusty, I just assumed it would be something released in the last couple of years and in the 30+ age range. I was hoping I keep it below $500 as thats something I could, in theory, afford, but if they go much higher it may not be worth it. I does not have to be scotch either, we just both prefer that so it seemed like something fun to open. I just realized the Talisker 25 bottles I have are both from the 2004 release, that would put them at 1979 distillation so pretty close. Does anyone know if they made a 2006 25 year release?

    Chainwhip, what price range are those Karuizawa 1981's, assuming I can actually get one?

    Thanks for the link Aaron to the Glenfarclas. Thats right on the edge of what I'd consider spending but looks like it would be a fun one to get, especially since it would say 1981 right on the bottle.

    Michael, do the old Macallans have the distillation date on them?

    I'll keep looking myself but as usual, you guys are the best!

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    523

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yes, you have a shot at finding a BIB (Grand Dad is the most prevalent) but I don't recall Scotch malts or blends from that time carrying any sort of identifying date. I would check with the guys over on the Scotch boards to see if they have any clues.
    Stupid question, when you refer to the scotch boards, which ones are you referring to? I've seen several forums but not spent enough time in any of them to see which ones would be worth joining.

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    490

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Stupid question, when you refer to the scotch boards, which ones are you referring to? I've seen several forums but not spent enough time in any of them to see which ones would be worth joining.

    Thanks!
    Good one (though the amount of traffic is a fraction of SB): whisky whisky whisky dot com (without the spaces, of course)
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. K&L Karuizwa (1981/cask#8775, 1999/cask#869)
    By ChainWhip in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 09:29
  2. which scotch to buy next?
    By velocci in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 17:45
  3. Scotch in tea
    By JeffRenner in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 18:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top