Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Scotch from 1981

Random question, I was thinking recently it might be fun to look for a birth year bottle and given that my wife and I were both born in 1981 this makes the choice year easier. That being said, how would I best go about looking for a fun bottle from that year? As my wife and I are getting older now the bottles won't be cheap, but they should still be manageable, if just barely. Obviously random stores are unlikely to have something this specific so I'm curious where you guys would look for something of this nature.

I don't have specifics, it really could be any scotch as long as it's something decent and not way over priced. I've seen Caperodnichs, Glenlivets, and MacDuffs in the rough age range but nothing that specific.

Thanks!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Scotch from 1981

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Random question, I was thinking recently it might be fun to look for a birth year bottle and given that my wife and I were both born in 1981 this makes the choice year easier. That being said, how would I best go about looking for a fun bottle from that year? As my wife and I are getting older now the bottles won't be cheap, but they should still be manageable, if just barely. Obviously random stores are unlikely to have something this specific so I'm curious where you guys would look for something of this nature.

I don't have specifics, it really could be any scotch as long as it's something decent and not way over priced. I've seen Caperodnichs, Glenlivets, and MacDuffs in the rough age range but nothing that specific.

Thanks!
    What a nice idea! I'm guessing that you can find some of the Old Grand Dad BIB's from that time, that are dated 1981. Probably, several others, too. OGD's from that era seem plentiful, though.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Scotch from 1981

Macallan 18's!! Will keep my eyes peeled for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guru

Yes, you have a shot at finding a BIB (Grand Dad is the most prevalent) but I don't recall Scotch malts or blends from that time carrying any sort of identifying date. I would check with the guys over on the Scotch boards to see if they have any clues.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Not scotch strictly speaking but there's some decent Karuizawa 1981's out there.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

I am Homer with my head tilted back and spittle drooping out of the side of my mouth, "Auuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh...."

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-16375.aspx

It probably wouldn't be my first Family Casks choice, but when I think of vintage malt I think of Glenfarclas. But that's just me.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Thanks!
    You're looking for ~30 year old Scotch. That won't be cheap. A cool idea is a range from Glenfarclas. They have bottled vintage casks from every year from 1953-1994
    This one would fit the bill.

If you would rather get something younger (i.e. a dusty) your best bet will be at auction.

For cheaper alternatives to single malts, you may look for single grains - these tend to be less expensive.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Connoisseur

Thanks for all the info guys! I had not even considered looking for a dusty, I just assumed it would be something released in the last couple of years and in the 30+ age range. I was hoping I keep it below $500 as thats something I could, in theory, afford, but if they go much higher it may not be worth it. I does not have to be scotch either, we just both prefer that so it seemed like something fun to open. I just realized the Talisker 25 bottles I have are both from the 2004 release, that would put them at 1979 distillation so pretty close. Does anyone know if they made a 2006 25 year release?

Chainwhip, what price range are those Karuizawa 1981's, assuming I can actually get one?

Thanks for the link Aaron to the Glenfarclas. Thats right on the edge of what I'd consider spending but looks like it would be a fun one to get, especially since it would say 1981 right on the bottle.

Michael, do the old Macallans have the distillation date on them?

I'll keep looking myself but as usual, you guys are the best!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yes, you have a shot at finding a BIB (Grand Dad is the most prevalent) but I don't recall Scotch malts or blends from that time carrying any sort of identifying date. I would check with the guys over on the Scotch boards to see if they have any clues.
    Stupid question, when you refer to the scotch boards, which ones are you referring to? I've seen several forums but not spent enough time in any of them to see which ones would be worth joining.

Thanks!

Enthusiast

Stupid question, when you refer to the scotch boards, which ones are you referring to? I've seen several forums but not spent enough time in any of them to see which ones would be worth joining.

Thanks!
    Good one (though the amount of traffic is a fraction of SB): whisky whisky whisky dot com (without the spaces, of course)
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire