Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: The Macallan 12?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place, but, I'll go ahead anyway as it seems a good place to start on a Macallan question. I'm a lifelong bourbon guy who has been 'crossing over' and sampling a number of single malts in the last year or so. Today, for the first time, I happened across a Macallan CS. I've seen it mentioned here & there but had never seen one in person. A couple of questions: 1) Is it still in production? 2) Is the $130 price tag good, bad or ugly?

In the last 12-15 months, I've not branched out beyond the $60-70 bottle range and no further than the speyside & highland realms...nor have I purchased any Macallan as yet. I'm not into the heavies...the peat & smoke of the Islays. Is the CS one to not pass up?
    There's rumors that MacCS production has stopped or will be stopping soon - $130 seems steep to me.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    There's rumors that MacCS production has stopped or will be stopping soon - $130 seems steep to me.
    I certainly wouldn't pay $130 for it. It's good. It's an experience at CS, but for $130 you can get two really solid bottles. It's dark, rich and full of fudge. Good...but not $130 good.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Virtuoso
    That's an extremely high price. I've purchased bottles between 55-75. Look for a Glenfarclas 105 or Aberlour A'Bunadh and see if you can find either under 80. They are stylistically similar to the Mac CS.

Virtuoso

Thanks very much guys! I appreciate your help. I kinda figured that was a bit steep. However, I'm much less practiced in the world of Scotch as opposed to Bourbon. I'm pretty much still a rookie in re to the water of life....but I'm sampling, learning, and becoming ever more aware how this stuff can grow on you. My next purchase will probably be 2-3 bottles depending on the ole paycheck. I'm thinking of getting a few different ones to add to the cabinet to diversify the ole taste buds further - although I realize by shying away from the peat & smoke, I may find myself a bit limited and find a lot of similarity.

Thanks again for the guidance...appreciate everyone taking time to assist me in my Scottish journey. A great weekend to all!
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Connoisseur

Why buy the lackluster Macallan 12 when there is Mortlach?

Guru

Why indeed . . . . . . . . . .
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    That's an extremely high price. I've purchased bottles between 55-75. Look for a Glenfarclas 105 or Aberlour A'Bunadh and see if you can find either under 80. They are stylistically similar to the Mac CS.

I can get an ABunadh right now for roughly $51 out the door. I like it better than the Macallan CS. I'm tempted to buy another bottle...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Why buy the lackluster Macallan 12 when there is Mortlach?
    Availability? As far as sherried Speyside whiskies go, I would replace Mortlach with GlenDronach in that question. I've never been able to walk into a store and find any Mortlach, aside from a random IB now and again.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Availability? As far as sherried Speyside whiskies go, I would replace Mortlach with GlenDronach in that question. I've never been able to walk into a store and find any Mortlach, aside from a random IB now and again.
    I would agree with this. Hi Time having the Glendronach for $40 is one of my go to sherried speysides.

Gots to love the single malts. Personally I think Macallan 12 is an excellent scotch for the price. Read the description on the box. If you like what you read what's in the box won't disappoint.