Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Guru

Re: The Macallan 12?

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Availability? As far as sherried Speyside whiskies go, I would replace Mortlach with GlenDronach in that question. I've never been able to walk into a store and find any Mortlach, aside from a random IB now and again.
    While I love Mortlach, Trey is right about its availability. Hopefully we will be getting the full lineup from Mortlach on the shelves here in the next few years.

Glendronach is a good alternative to Macallan as (again) Trey has mentioned.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

It seems like Macallan gets no love these days. There is nothing to dislike about Macallan 12 IMO. It is a good whisky for the money. The CS is better but, it isn't $130 better. I'm partial to Aberlour myself, for sherried whisky. It's all good if you can get it. Getting it seems to be the problem! I don't bother mail ordering anymore..... too much trouble. If I can't get something I just make do with what I can get....... which aint much in Ohio!

Advanced Taster

Macallan 12 is going for crazy prices in the UK since its been discontinued so I would say stock up if you like it. Macallan as a distillery is a little odd to me. They have such a big jump from the 12 to the 18 pricewise. I would think they could make a 15 yr sherry cask for around 80-100 bucks and make more money. Macallan 12 is good for me but A'bunah is better in every way for the money.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    While I love Mortlach, Trey is right about its availability. Hopefully we will be getting the full lineup from Mortlach on the shelves here in the next few years.

Glendronach is a good alternative to Macallan as (again) Trey has mentioned.
    I used to be able to walk into my local bottle shop and find 4-5 different IBs of Mortlach on the shelf at any given time. Then this article came out: http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/201...rtlach-lovers/

I managed to snag a bottle of Chieftain's Mortlach 15 (seems to be a good age for that malt) prior to the panic buying, but I don't expect to see it on the shelves again until Diageo starts shipping the "new and improved" version. I also don't expect to see the 16 Flora and Fauna for a reasonable price ever again.

For those looking at GlenDronach, I recommend the 12 and HIGHLY recommend the 15. I don't know that anyone would be disappointed with the 18, but I absolutely do think the 15 is superior. Frankly, I think they are still slipping casks of much older whisky into their standard expressions (similar to Ardbeg when they restarted). If for no other reason, I am happy to support GlenDronach because they are owned by BenRiach instead of a giant multinational.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    I used to be able to walk into my local bottle shop and find 4-5 different IBs of Mortlach on the shelf at any given time. Then this article came out: http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/201...rtlach-lovers/

I managed to snag a bottle of Chieftain's Mortlach 15 (seems to be a good age for that malt) prior to the panic buying, but I don't expect to see it on the shelves again until Diageo starts shipping the "new and improved" version. I also don't expect to see the 16 Flora and Fauna for a reasonable price ever again.

For those looking at GlenDronach, I recommend the 12 and HIGHLY recommend the 15. I don't know that anyone would be disappointed with the 18, but I absolutely do think the 15 is superior. Frankly, I think they are still slipping casks of much older whisky into their standard expressions (similar to Ardbeg when they restarted). If for no other reason, I am happy to support GlenDronach because they are owned by BenRiach instead of a giant multinational.
    I agree with the 15 revival. Its an awesome pour and a fair price.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I agree with the 15 revival. Its an awesome pour and a fair price.
    Starting to push $100 around here which is getting pretty pricey. When I first bought it at $70ish I would have agreed!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Starting to push $100 around here which is getting pretty pricey. When I first bought it at $70ish I would have agreed!
    Sadly, I have to report the same for Maryland as of this week. It's not the worst bargain when I consider how much more I like it than Macallan 18, which is now over $200 a bottle in some shops I frequent. On the other hand, I think the bottle I have set aside from one of the earliest import shipments 'Dronach did to the U.S. is probably going to be the last one I buy for a good long time. Sherried whisky is probably the easiest to find a variety of around here, and there's always A'bunadh.
    Last edited by garbanzobean; 01-12-2014 at 09:22.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    $65.99 at Hi Time. I don't think things can be shipped to GA though. If you see some other stuff you want from there, maybe I can help mule some your way if you want.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    $65.99 at Hi Time. I don't think things can be shipped to GA though. If you see some other stuff you want from there, maybe I can help mule some your way if you want.
    The price differences across the country are frustratingly weird. I suppose some of it is local taxes and how long ago they got their last shipment.

I put away a couple when I saw the price creeping up but thanks for the offer!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum