Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Timelines & Stuff

A new member asked today so I thought I'd start a new thread.

How about some timelines such as when tax stamps were phased out or when was the government health warning required, how to find the bottle manufacturing date, etc.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Re: Timelines & Stuff

Unfortunately all that was before I knew enough about bourbon to buy it But I'm positive others here know the info!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

well, one of the first persons I'd ask would be squire. I think, maybe, companies started gearing up for warning labels when Strom Thurman started talking about this in late 1980's? but were absolutely mandated to have them on bottles manufactured or imported after Nov 18, 1989?

see: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-...pII-sec215.pdf
    Last edited by B.B. Babington; 12-20-2013 at 19:51.

federal tax stamp went away July 1, 1985. Here's one citation of merit: http://corporate.findlaw.com/finance....html#CLOSURES

Guru

I don't recall the year but clearly remember the day. I was driving Susan to her Dad's house for a Friday dinner party that would last the weekend. That's the way he entertained, guests stayed over, big house, lots of room, and she told me to stop at the local store.

Why? Because Mom's doing veal with a Riesling and I want a dry Moselle. One thing I've learned is don't get between the girl and her mother, no matter which side you choose you lose.

Was told to get a bottle of his favorite Bourbon (like he didn't already have a fully stocked wine cellar), but being Old South one always brings a gift for the host. So I reached for the Wild Turkey 101 and noticed the label said No. 8 instead of 8 years old. My first thought was f**k me, what have they done? Next to it on the shelf was the standard 8 year old and they were the same price. Pointed this out to the guys at the counter, (good guys, local folks) and no, they hadn't noticed the change but were so embarrassed they offered a bottle of wine on the house for the dinner. Of course we appreciated but declined the offer.

Upon arrival handed the old gent the bottle and related what I'd discovered. He poured us both a drink and while examining the label spoke words I shall never forget.

"Well then, this brand has lost my trade".

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I don't recall the year but clearly remember the day. I was driving Susan to her Dad's house for a Friday dinner party that would last the weekend. That's the way he entertained, guests stayed over, big house, lots of room, and she told me to stop at the local store.

Why? Because Mom's doing veal with a Riesling and I want a dry Moselle. One thing I've learned is don't get between the girl and her mother, no matter which side you choose you lose.

Was told to get a bottle of his favorite Bourbon (like he didn't already have a fully stocked wine cellar), but being Old South one always brings a gift for the host. So I reached for the Wild Turkey 101 and noticed the label said No. 8 instead of 8 years old. My first thought was f**k me, what have they done? Next to it on the shelf was the standard 8 year old and they were the same price. Pointed this out to the guys at the counter, (good guys, local folks) and no, they hadn't noticed the change but were so embarrassed they offered a bottle of wine on the house for the dinner. Of course we appreciated but declined the offer.

Upon arrival handed the old gent the bottle and related what I'd discovered. He poured us both a drink and while examining the label spoke words I shall never forget.

"Well then, this brand has lost my trade".
    great story....Im sure it immediately came to mind the other day with the VOB debacle.......

Virtuoso

Farewell Barton. Our paths will meet no more?
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Screw them . . . and the horse they rode in on.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Screw them . . . and the horse they rode in on.

Squire is taking this about as well as I took it a few years ago when Chrysler pissed me off.

I hope you preferred OGD BIB more anyway.

out of curiousity, did OGD BIB ever have an age statement on it in the past, and if it did, when did it go away, and with what reactions?

Guru

Yes, it was age stated at 8 years old but the whisky in the mix was older. Even 6 year Old Taylor had 10-12 year stuff in the vat.

I've put up with changes over the years but some recent changes are such that up which I will not put.