Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: New Garrison Bros bourbon $160???

The cheapest ticket for last night's professional hockey game here in Chicago was $95 with scalpers getting a lot more. There are 70,000 people on the wait list for season tickets. Texas made whiskey being sold in Texas. I expect they will sellout.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    The cheapest ticket for last night's professional hockey game here in Chicago was $95 with scalpers getting a lot more. There are 70,000 people on the wait list for season tickets. Texas made whiskey being sold in Texas. I expect they will sellout.
    That's amazing because you couldn't give me a bottle of that whiskey let a lone get me to pay $160 for a half bottle of it.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

It's pretty clear who the Garrisons want as customers. I certainly don't feel left out.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I like Dan, his team, and his whiskey. I'll also say this about him. He knows his audience. Not only will these sell, the people who buy them will consider themselves privileged.

Dan asked the distributor to favor the stores in the towns neighboring the distillery. Those sales will be a nice payday for the stores too, which they will appreciate. One reason for his pricing is that he seldom sees stores selling his bourbon at the suggested retail. The demand is so great most of the stores mark it up.

Unlike some craft distillers, who can't wait to get their products into major markets, Garrison expects it will be years before he even tries to sell outside of Texas. It was about this time last year when he started to sell in Houston and I'm not sure if he's in Dallas-Fort Worth even yet. It will be fine with him if he never sells it outside of Texas.

The point is that he is extremely and demonstrably loyal to his customers, neighbors, and the other folks who have supported him. It's an object lesson in brand building. To understand and appreciate what Garrison is doing, you have to understand and appreciate Texas and Texans. Not everyone does.

He's also unusual in making one mash bill and selling only straight bourbon, although in a couple of different iterations. The distillery itself and its setting are beautiful, a tourism dream.

You may not like his whiskey or the way he markets it, but to say he is "all hat and no cows" suggests the speaker doesn't understand the expression. You also might want to check Texas law, because I believe he is allowed to shoot you for that.
    Last edited by cowdery; 05-16-2013 at 15:50.

Guru

Still can't believe people are willing to pay that simply because it's from TX, although obviously they are. Have fun with that.

Guru

You've never spent much time here have you?

TEXAS!!!
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    You've never spent much time here have you?

TEXAS!!!
    Some, not a lot. Love it or hate it, you can't deny Texas and Texans are unique.

Guru

Chuck would you favor us with some tasting notes?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Some, not a lot. Love it or hate it, you can't deny Texas and Texans are unique.
    Chuck I was poking fun. I'm from Alabama but have lived here for ~12 years. If you slap Texas on it, it will most likely sell. They even have Texas edition trucks of every make down here.

I'm sure their whiskey is a best effort, but I can't bring myself to blow $80 on the stuff I see at Spec's.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Probably the most distinctive flavor note is butterscotch. The whiskey has a lot of body and sweetness. It's one of the few, young, craft distillery bourbons that is actually recognizable as bourbon. Its youth does betray it in that it still has a little bit of white dog in the background. The way they're aging it, it will probably start to get too woody after four years, so they'll probably never get it into what for me would be ideal balance, but it's a worthy effort. So it's not perfect by any means. I think he might eventually be sorry that he doesn't double. But he and his crew have their own ideas about things. They work very hard and are making the product they want to make.