Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Smaller Format Bottles - The Future?

I got big into beer a few years back about the time that craft beer started transitioning from 12oz six-packs to the highend 22oz and 750ml packaging sizes. The price per ounce increased significantly. I wonder how much of this we might see in the bourbon world - I know that BT puts at least one of their experimental collections in this size, and I remember the Garrison Bros thread where they're putting their juice in that format as well. I guess in some ways this is happening already, like Makers cutting handles out of their supply line.

Well, why haven't most bourbons been offered in this format to start with? For lightweights like me, its a good size I'd pay a bit of a premium for. Off the top of my head, I can only think of a few higher-end bourbons in this size. Pros? Cons?

I was craving Knob Creek today but wasn't in for a bunch of it, so I was happy to see it offered this way.

Guru

Re: Smaller Format Bottles - The Future?

i dont see the knob creek 120 in smaller bottles though. I wish everything was available in 200, 375, 750, 1000, and 1750. There are lots of things i want to try but hate getting stuck with a 750 of something that sucks. Im gonna have to BBQ all summer (put it in the BBQ sauce) just to get rid of the Old Overholt I bought a 750 of just to try a cheap example of a heavy rye

Guru

I would love to see more in the smaller format. There's a cost to having a variety in bottling, so I don't expect to see everything in that format - especially the really high-end stuff. But I've had a couple 50 mL minis of Blantons and Rare Breed, which were perfect for tasting comparisons without taking up as much room (or as much dough!) as a 750 mL. Sure, they were more expensive per ounce, but I'm willing to pay that for having a greater variety.

When I do have a 750 (or most of one) that I find I didn't care for though, if I don't know someone else who likes it - I just spill it out. I used to use those for whiskey sours, but find it is just throwing good money after bad - a waste of perfectly good sour mix. That is, unless there is a fire nearby where Jimmy can help dispose of the nonsense
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

I would love to see a variation of bottling size,I think this would be ideal for smaller tastings and verticals.I think 200ml is an ideal size to get to know a bottle over a few session pours over a given week or two.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

Whaddayamean future? Where are all those gallon jugs of yesteryear? I want economy sizes, not eye-dropper bottles!

Guru

I agree Ryan, 200 mil is reasonable refreshment.

Advanced Taster

I like the 200 ml size for trying something out, but seeing as how they will try to charge me for about 500 ml worth of booze, I'll be careful what I wish for. I can, however, second without any reservations MauiSon's plea for good ol' gallon jugs! Or perhaps discounted 6-packs of handles that come in a stylish carrier, 4 to a case.

Guru

Stylish carrier, I like that, style points are important.

Connoisseur

I too would like to see more offered in smaller bottles. I have learned a lot about my likes and dislikes but it's nice to try something before you buy the whole bottle. I could go broke buying everything I want to try. Of course the wealth of info here at SB helps tremendously.

Guru

Yes, it's helpful to follow the thoughts of those who have gone broke before you.