Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Favorite Personal Blends, or mixes, of Whiskies

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Most like a 1:1. Why do you use those proportions?

I don't care for Weller12 as it's too sooty and almost scotch like. The last bottle I had I gave away. While I was at the Houston meet-up last week Randy and Ed said the older bottles of Weller 12 with the embossed wheat on the glass were better, but I didn't really push them as to why they were better. Can you possibly elaborate?
    Why those proportions? Uh, because I like it? Seriously though, I have not been a fan of the W12 for the last several years. It has really thinned out IMO, and is too dry and almost astringent these days. I adore the OWA, and it's thick juiciness (Hey, I used the word, sorta! ), and I go heavy on it. The W12 does add a bit of that woodiness to it that makes for the perfect blend for my Mack Truck palate.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

A 1:1 of Barton and Grand Dad work for me, or you can drink them separately and mix them internally.

Enthusiast

I usually have a bottle of the obligatory SB blend on hand. 1:1 W12 and OWA for me. I've never done any other blends very precisely, I usually just pour a few things in a glass. I'm enjoying some Old Charter 8 with a bit of Ritt BIB mixed in. That gives a sweet, boring bourbon quite a nice flavor. The other day I opened my first bottle of BH and tried a bit mixed with OGD114. That is a mixture I will be exploring for sure.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dohidied View Post
    I'm enjoying some Old Charter 8 with a bit of Ritt BIB mixed in. That gives a sweet, boring bourbon quite a nice flavor.
    That sounds pretty good actually. OC can be a little boring with just the one sweet corn/butterscotch flavor (and a little wood.)
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

My preferred ratio for the SB Blend is 60% OWA and 40% Weller 12. I agree with Joe - the journey is as important as the destination! I keep empty half-pint bottles for experimentation, and tried different ratios (60/40 in both directions, and 50/50) to pick which one I like best. Although, I've noticed more and more the variability in what I taste and when - so what is my favorite today might come in second place some other night! After I empty my current bottle, my strategy will be to try to do smaller vattings - in the desperate hope that one day I'll get 1/10th as good as fishnbowljoe
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

The only Barton I seem to be able to get up here is 1792 and fewer and fewer places carry OGD - at any strength. But I'll keep an eye when I come down to Virginia this summer. Maybe being a border state with Kentucky will enhance the bourbon selection - it's been a long time since I was in the ABC stores there.

Advanced Taster

I have my gripes with the ABC stores, but one thing I can give them credit for is carrying the entire line of Old Grand-Dad.

Guru

Praiseworthy indeed.

Enthusiast

My house blend approximates the flavor of ETL at about half the price. 50/50 blend of 4RYL and OGDBIB.

Apprentice

Timely post. I just snuck a few ounces of my 1:1 OWA and Weller 12 blend. I was hoping to wait the recommended week (minimum) to let it meld, but I really wanted a smooth sip to end my work week. Even after only 4 days I am extremely impressed! It softens the extra woodiness of the 12 (which is otherwise my favorite daily pour). And it evened out and gave more depth to the OWA, which I found a bit medicinal and sharp.

I plan on doing a blind 3-way test of the source bourbons along with the blend soon, but I am very pleased with the initial results this evening. Maybe I'll even go 4-way and compare some Larceny, too.