Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Rittenhouse BIB question

The only thing I have in the house right now is Rittenhouse BIB. I had not had it for about 2 years but decided to try it again. Man this is amazing stuff! Very complex..love the chocolate notes. My question is, it claims to be a Pennsylvania style rye. How accurate is that claim? It is definitely different from WT 101 Rye, KC Rye..and way different than the 95% ryes..

Connoisseur

Re: Rittenhouse BIB question

"Paging Dr. Gillman... Dr. Gillman..."

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...earchid=392199
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Connoisseur

That link did not return anything but I will search his posts..

Disciple

Rittenhouse BIB question

I have tasted a dusty Ritt BIB from Pennsylvania alongside the current DSP-KY-354 release. They're not remotely the same. Take the "Pennsylvania style rye" claim with the same grain of salt you'd take with anything on a bourbon label whose meaning isn't mandated by law.

I personally find the current juice to be very bourbon like in its character. I'd also say it's definitely closer to WT101 rye than to the PA dusty.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I have tasted a dusty Ritt BIB from Pennsylvania alongside the current DSP-KY-354 release. They're not remotely the same. Take the "Pennsylvania style rye" claim with the same grain of salt you'd take with anything on a bourbon label whose meaning isn't mandated by law.

I personally find the current juice to be very bourbon like in its character. I'd also say it's definitely closer to WT101 rye than to the PA dusty.
    That's kind of what I thought in just reading Sku's dusty reviews..but he was reviewing really old whiskey. I thought maybe Pennsylvania ryes from the 50's and 60's might be different. Rittenhouse does have more of a bourbon quality to it..but it sure is good stuff.

Guru

Rittenhouse has an historical claim due to it's origins but what it is now is a different product. It is to Heaven Hill's credit the brand is still around and still in such fine shape. It is a Rye in the Kentucky style and a good one.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I personally find the current juice to be very bourbon like in its character.
    I agree. When I did Squire's suggested BIB test, I threw Ritt BIB in for kicks, and I found it to be surprisingly similar to EW BIB.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Taster

It's great rye. Is it true PA style? I don't know, I've never had any dusties from the olden days. I do know that it is different from Maryland style. If it is a third style, KY rye, then it carries the banner well.

Guru

I've had a few older bottles of Rye and think the current production compares right well.

Disciple

At our Binny's get together back in November 2011 (the "last fling" say goodbye to Joe party...who thankfully never left) Tommyboy shared his 1955 Rittenhouse. It was superb and nothing similar to the current. Spicy and thick is what I remember...not bourbon like or mint rye like. Among other valued '50 and 60's dusties that evening it was a standout.

nikon 052.jpg
    Thad

BTOTY-2011