Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Fun at Four Roses

Well, today I had the privilege of participating in a private barrel selection at the Four Roses warehouses at Cox's Creek. We selected two barrels that will be sold at Eric's store in Elizabethtown, Ky., Packages and More Liquors. It was quite an experience, and I must say that Four Roses certainly does it right when doing something like this.

We sampled from ten separate barrels, one for each of their ten recipes. All were 10-12 years old. Samples were drawn straight from the barrels and had plenty of char in them. We sampled at barrel strength, and then had the option of adding water if we desired (no one did). The sampling took place in the back of the bottling operation building, and the ten barrels were lined up on the floor immediately adjacent to where we sampled.

Ultimately we chose one barrel each of the OESF and the OBSF recipes. All that we sampled were good, but to us these barrels stood out. Can't wait to see them in the store and take some home!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

Re: Fun at Four Roses

Thanks for sharing. Glad to see despite how busy these distilleries are becoming that they still put full effort into programs like this.

Now the more serious question is how you can type full paragraphs having sampled so much bourbon? You sir are clearly a professional!

Guru

I've heard great things about their hospitality during the barrel selection process.

Did they pull the barrels from the semi-trailer in the back, or directly from the rickhouse?
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I've heard great things about their hospitality during the barrel selection process.

Did they pull the barrels from the semi-trailer in the back, or directly from the rickhouse?
    The barrels had already been pulled when we arrived, so I don't know how long they had been there. We did see a semi-trailer arrive and backup to where we were about 15 minutes before we actually went in. Trailer was there during our sampling, so they may have come from that trailer, but honestly I don't know.

Guru

It sounds like they may have pulled some "fresh" barrels for you. I was just curious. I'm sure it doesn't matter anyway. Looking at the picture #2 and #4 have some nice color. I'm pretty impressed. We don't have many SB selections anywhere in Houston. The only ones I've seen are BT an ER10 and they were chosen by BT not by anyone locally.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

That is just great, thank you for sharing.

I hope to be able to get a barrel some day.

Best regards, Tony

Advanced Taster

Fun at Four Roses

No one does it better than Four Roses. Jim is a wonderful host and a super nice guy

Fun at Four Roses

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368835502.480792.jpgA couple of photos. Mr Rutledge was not in attendance out host Dan was more than gracious. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368835607.995320.jpg The winners.

Guru

Thanks for allowing me along on the journey, that sounds like a cracking good way to spend a Friday.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368835502.480792.jpgA couple of photos. Mr Rutledge was not in attendance out host Dan was more than gracious. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368835607.995320.jpg The winners.
    No other way to say it...just fucking bitchin..
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...